Creating a test in EchoExam allows you the freedom to create a set of questions that matches your needs and the flexibility to configure the settings to accommodate your learners in published and printed tests.
Creating a Test
- Log into EchoExam with your Instructor account.
- Click Create in the upper right of the header and select Test or click New Test from the Tests library.
- Give your test a unique name.
- Select Blank Test.
Use the Test Generator to create a Test using existing content based on specific criteria.
- The test editor opens and you will be prompted to choose the first question for the test.
Choose a template to start with a blank question, or click the Questions tab to select an existing question from your library.
Understanding the Test Editor
There are three main areas when creating a test. Each area has its own unique set of features.
The Question List
All questions that you add to your test will appear in a list on the left side of your screen. You can click anywhere on a question to drag and drop it to a new spot in your test. Question numbers update automatically when reordered. Clicking the three vertical dots to open the action menu on a question allows you to duplicate and / or remove the question.
Edit and Preview
You can edit your questions right from the test; a separate editing modal is not required. Update your question text, add images, or update answer options and click Save at the bottom of the editor. Any changes you make to a question will be automatically updated wherever that question is used, including questions in tests that have been published but not yet assigned. You can preview questions as your learners will see them from Desktop, Tablet, or Mobile.
Content Options and Metadata
On the right side of your screen, view your question and its options and metadata at the same time. Update your question settings and / or metadata and click Save at the bottom of the editor. Any changes you make to a question will be automatically updated wherever that question is used, including questions in tests that have been published but not yet assigned.
Add Questions to Your Test
- Click Add Question.
- Select a Template to create a brand new question of that type.
The question(s) are added to your test.
- Optionally, click Questions.
The questions in your question library display.
Search for questions using the search bar.
Any question that is already on your test will be grayed out and the check box will already be selected.
- Sort questions by Updated, Created, A to Z, and Z to A from the drop-down in the top right. The default is Updated.
- Search for questions using the search bar.
- Use the checkboxes to select one or more questions.
- Click Add.
The question(s) are added to your test.
Once created, any test that you create can be used as many times as needed!
You can delete one or more tests at any time, but keep in mind that deleting a test will also remove the preview content from any Exams that were created from it. Completed exams will no longer include the link to the test, and draft exams will no longer be valid.
In every test that you create, you can choose to enable time limits. From the Settings button in the top right corner of your test.
- Enable Time Limits - You must enable this to set the type of time limit and the actual time limit. This is disabled by default.
Type - There are two options to choose from.
- Time overall test - This option sets an overall time limit for the whole test.
- Time each question - This option sets a time limit per question.
Time Limit - This option set the actual time limit for the test.
- Time overall test - The default is 1 hour and must be entered as HH:MM:SS.
Time each question - The default is 5 minutes and must be entered as MM:SS.
- Same limit for all questions - Set the same time limit for all questions.
Same limit for each question type - Set the same time limit for each question of the same type.
These are both disabled by default which means each question has its own individual time setting.