Some institutions do not want to allow students and teaching assistants (TAs) to download class-published content. The Download capability is enabled for all institutions by default but can be disabled at the section level by an Instructor, or across the institution, organization, or department by an Administrator.
Once disabled, students and TAs will not see the Download/Download original menu options for content on the Class List page. Content owners, Instructors, and Administrators can always download content.
If Class Content downloads are enabled, you have the option to limit class downloads for students and TAs to ONLY the audio feed of any given file. Enabling Audio-only downloads for class content prohibits any visual content downloads for students, and therefore has the following effects:
- Selecting Download/Download original from the video icon in the class list provides only the mp3 file selection for download.
- Presentations will not be downloadable, as they do not have separate audio files.
These selections do not affect what items a student can download from their Library (content they own). As such, you may want to review your Create Copy settings for both Instructors and Students, to be sure students cannot bypass video download limitations by creating their own copy of class published content. Students and TAs can still download any content that appears in the My Content tab of the EchoVideo Home page.
To disable student and teaching assistant downloads of class-published content across the institution
- Log into EchoVideo as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
General settings appears and Basic Info is selected by default.
- Click Organizations and Departments.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- Navigate to the organization or department you want to set the default for or remain at the Institution level.
- On the right side of the page, click Section Features.
- Scroll down and under Content Downloads, disable the Class Content Downloads toggle switch (it is enabled by default).
- Check or uncheck the Allow override checkbox to determine whether this toggle setting can be changed at any of the lower levels.
- Click Confirm on the confirmation message that appears.
Download functionality for students and TAs is now disabled for classes. This has no effect on content residing on the Library page.
NOTE: If disabled at the institution/organization/department level (and overrides are not allowed), instructors can still see the download toggle on the section Settings page, but it is dimmed, meaning they cannot change the setting.