Classes exist to hold content that students can view. If your Section has a regularly recorded class schedule (i.e., MWF 1 pm), your administrator may have a capture schedule set up, which automatically records your lectures and posts them to the pre-generated class in the section.
Each class can contain either one video and one presentation OR one interactive media. For scheduled classes/captures, the video placeholder is (or will be) occupied by the recorded capture for the class. If you have additional media that pertains to the class, you can create a new class to hold the supplemental content.
Your manually created class can have a date/time that corresponds with the main lecture, or it can have a different date/time, or it can have NO date/time (but it must have a name). You can create one additional class that duplicates the date/time of an existing class, however, creating more than one duplicate may result in the original class disappearing from the list. If this happens, simply edit the start date/time of the second class, offsetting by one minute.
You may also consider creating a class group to hold multiple classes containing content associated with a single lecture or topic. Once the class group exists, you can add classes to the class group, either existing ones or create new classes using the below instructions.
New classes with a date are inserted into the Class List next to the class with the closest date already in the list. New classes without dates will appear either at the top or the bottom of the list, depending on the sort order (if any) you have for the list.
To create a new class
- Navigate to the class list for a section, either by clicking a Course tile on the Course tab or via a link in your LMS.
- Click NEW CLASS, located in the top right corner of the classes tab.
The New Class dialog box appears.
- Enter class details as follows:
- Enter a Name for the class to describe its topic or purpose.
- Enter a Start Date and Time and duration for the class. If this is a class to hold materials supplemental to a particular existing class, you may want to give it the same date/time as the existing class.
- Enter a Description for the class (optional).
NOTE: If you have a Start date, you must enter Time and Duration. If you have no Date, the class must have a Name. If you create a class with no date, be sure to provide a name and description that informs users what the purpose of the class/content is.
- Click CREATE.
The new class appears in the class list. If it has no date/time, it will appear at the top or bottom of the list, depending on the current sort order (oldest or newest first).
- Add content to the class in one of the supported content formats.
- If appropriate, reorder the class list to move it to a new location, or to place the new class into a class group.
ALTERNATELY, you can create a new class when publishing a piece of media. The Sharing modal allows you to create a new class to hold this media (as shown below). The fields to complete are the same, however, with Name, Start Date, Start Time, and Duration, as well as Availability settings for the media. See Post and Remove Media for an EchoVideo Course.