Who can add media to a collection?
Collection Managers and any collection member who has the Add & Upload permission in the collection. EchoVideo administrators can add media to any collection.
NOTE that if an Administrator has disabled the Library for students, students cannot add media to the collection or copy media from it. They can still participate fully in Collections and can have any Access Level including Manager. But they will not see the Add Media (or Copy) options in their collections as described in this article.
There are three ways to add media to your collection:
- Enter the collection and click Add Media. These are the instructions provided below.
This provides a list of items in your EchoVideo library to choose from. It also provides the option to upload a file to the collection from your local machine or a shared drive.
- From the Media Tile button in your library, click Add To Collection then identify the collection to add it to.
- Share to the collection from the Media Details page (the bottom of the Info tab).
Keep in mind that "adding media" to a collection is just adding an access point for the media, similar to sharing it with another user. The original media file resides in someone's library; if you or another user deletes that media, it is also removed from the collection. If you do not own the media and deletion is a concern, consider making a copy that YOU own (if that option is available to you), and add the copy to the collection instead.
To add media to a collection
- Click Collections on the top navigation panel.
- Click on the Collection tile to open the collection you want to add media to.
Alternately, you can click on the collection tile from your Library page if it is visible there.
The collection opens on the Media tab, shown in the below figure.
- Click Add Media from the top of the page.
- In the dialog box that appears, select one or more pieces of media to add to this collection. Use the checkboxes on the left to select multiple items.
The list includes all media from your library that you are permitted to add to the collection. You can select up to 30 items at a time.
Alternately, you can upload new media to the collection, using the instructions included later on this page.
- Use the Sort by drop-down list and arrow to change the order in which the media list is shown. Your options include Name, Date Created, or media Type (audio, interactive media, poll, presentation, video) as shown in the below figure.
- If necessary, use the Search text box and/or Filters options to find the media file you want to add.
- Clicking Filters opens a dialog box similar to the Library filter, shown below, allowing you to narrow the list by media type, owner, source, status (shared/published or not), and publishing location.
- Select the media you want to add and click Done at the bottom of the dialog box.
TIP: You can sort and filter and re-sort and re-filter as often as you want to find and select multiple items from the list. Each selection is retained (until you de-select it) and a running count of selected media is provided at the bottom of the list. This is highlighted in the above figure.
The Media tab of the collection appears, now containing the added media, as shown below.
Uploading Media to the Collection
The steps below are for uploading a media file to EchoVideo and adding it to the collection as a single process. The media is uploaded to your library, processed, and shared to the collection. NOTE that just like all uploaded media, the media must complete processing before users can view it.
To upload media for sharing in a collection
- Enter the collection and click Add Media, as described in the above procedure.
- From the media selection dialog box that appears, select the Upload New Media tab, as shown in the below figure.
- Click Select Media.
The dialog box changes to allow you to upload from your local machine (this is the default).
- To upload media:
- If the file is on your local machine, click the Select Files to Upload icon in the middle of the dialog box shown above.
- If the file is in a shared drive location (such as Dropbox or Google Drive), click the appropriate icon from the list on the left side of the dialog box.
- Follow the options to find and select the media file(s) you want. You can select to upload up to 30 different media items at a time.
Remember: The media is actually uploaded to your library; it is then shared to the collection for access by collection members.
- Click Upload.
Once the file is uploaded, you should see a confirmation message of a successful upload. Close the message, and the Media tab for the collection appears. If an error occurs on upload, you will receive an appropriate message.
The newly uploaded media will not have a preview thumbnail; the media tile will read "Processing" while the item is being processed by EchoVideo. How long this takes is partially dependent on the size of the media file. Once processing is complete, a thumbnail for the media will appear on the tile and members will be able to view the media.