The look and feel of the Player is changing in December with the Q4 release. Upcoming changes are identified in this article by providing screenshots labeled "Old UI" and "New UI".
There are two places in the interface where you can select Request Transcript for media:
- The Admin Captures page, from the chevron menu for an individual completed capture or from the bulk-action menu when selecting multiple completed captures.
- The Media Details page, from the Transcripts menu. This method allows you to see if the capture already has transcripts before sending the request.
The Order Transcript option for individual captures provides several advantages:
- Allows for the transcribing of older pieces of media that do not yet have transcriptions but need them.
- Allows administrators to turn off the institution ASR toggles but still get transcriptions applied to individual media as needed.
Concerning the second bullet, understand that if you select Order Transcript and your ASR media toggles are OFF, the transcript will still be requested and applied, and that usage will be counted towards your available contracted ASR hours. If you do not have any hours available, you will be asked to purchase them.
Also know that if the media already has an automated transcript, and the media has not been edited from its originally transcribed form, it will NOT receive a new transcript. Unlike re-sending closed captions for processing, there will not be a duplicated request for transcription if an ASR-generated one already exists.
This applies to media copies as well. Copying media includes copying the transcript. If the original media's transcript was an automated transcript and the copy is still identical to the original, it will not get a new automated transcript. Edit the copy and a new automated transcript can be requested.
For more information about the ASR service, how it works, and how it is paid for, see the ASR Transcription service overview article.
To request a transcript for media from the Captures page
- From the Completed status list on the CAPTURES page, find the capture you want.
- Hover over the capture row and select Request Transcript from the chevron menu, as shown in the following figure.
To request bulk transcripts for media from the Captures page
- From the Completed status list on the CAPTURES page, find the captures you want.
- In the white box to the left of the captures, select the captures to bulk-order transcripts.
A Bulk Action menu appears under the Search bar.
- You can also select the top box to select all captures on the page.
- Click the Bulk Actions menu drop-down and choose Send for Transcription.
- Click APPLY.
- Select a language for the transcription from the drop-down and click OK.
Transcripts for the selected captures are sent for processing and you will receive a notification when complete.
To request a transcript from the Media Details page
- Click on a completed capture to open the media details page.
The Details tab with the General tab is selected by default.
- Find the Transcripts entry and click on the menu arrow located to the right of it, as shown in the below figure. Select Order Transcript from the options.
- Select a language for the transcription from the drop-down and click Order Transcript.
The capture is sent through the ASR transcription service. When finished, the transcript for the media will be available to view in a classroom or to edit via EchoVideo Transcript Editor and you will receive a notification when complete.