Administrators can now send individual pieces of media to the ASR Transcription service to receive transcripts.
There are two places in the interface where admins can select Request Transcript for media:
- The Captures page, using the chevron menu for completed captures.
- The Media Details page, from the Transcripts menu. This method allows you to see if the capture already has transcripts before sending the request.
The Request Transcript option for individual captures provides several advantages:
- Allows for the transcribing of older pieces of media that do not yet have transcriptions but need them.
- Allows administrators to turn off the institution ASR toggles but still get transcriptions applied to individual media as needed.
With respect to the second bullet, understand that if you select Request Transcript and your ASR media toggles are OFF, the transcript will still be requested and still be applied, and that usage will be decremented from your available contracted ASR hours. If you do not have any hours available, you will be asked to purchase them.
Essentially this feature allows for a much narrower transcription set than the institution level features do (either all course-published media or all new media added to the system).
Also know that if the media already has an automated transcript, and the media has not been edited from its originally transcribed form, it will NOT receive a new transcript. Unlike re-sending closed captions for processing, there will not be a duplicated request for transcription if an ASR-generated one already exists.
This applies to media copies as well. Copying media includes copying the transcript. If the original's transcript was an automated transcript and the copy is still identical to the original, it will not get a new automated transcript. Edit the copy, and a new automated transcript can be requested.
For more information about the ASR service, how it works, and how it is paid for, see the ASR Transcription service overview article.
To request a transcript for media from the Captures page
- From the Completed status list on the CAPTURES page, find the capture you want.
- Hover over the capture row and select Request Transcript from the chevron menu, as shown in the following figure.
To request a transcript from the Media Details page
- Click on a completed capture to open the media details page.
- Click the Details tab and find the Transcripts entry, identified in the below figure.
- Click on the Add link or the menu arrow located to the right of it, as shown in the below figure.
- Select Request Transcript from the options.
The capture is sent through the ASR transcription service. When finished, the transcript for the media will be available to view in a classroom or to edit via Echo360 Transcript Editor.