The Video Assets Report is accessed by clicking the Videos card from the Admin Dashboard. It includes video, audio, and interactive media (media with embedded polls). The report contains view data from the last 12 months, providing a count of views and/or downloads of the media performed in that time-frame. If an item has not been viewed or downloaded in the past 12 months, it is NOT listed in the report.
The report is limited to 10,000 (10K) entries.
By default, the report is sorted by last viewed/downloaded date-time. Media is listed with the section in which it is published. Media published to multiple sections will appear multiple times if it has been viewed/downloaded at least once in the last 12 months.
If the media is listed without a section, that means the view(s) noted in that row are from any of the following locations:
- By any user through the Media Details page
- By users via an authenticated embedded instance of the media in an LMS course
- By users through a Collection
- By users via a public URL Link posted externally from EchoVideo
The Public and Private columns of the report indicate whether the views are through Public links or not. More complete definitions for the data fields are provided later on this page.
To change the order of the columns, click and drag them to their new location. Column reordering will persist through a Clear All (to clear filters and sorting) but will be restored to their original order when the page is refreshed.
To sort the report by a single column, click the column header.
To nest your sorting selections, press the Shift key while clicking the column header.
For example, to sort the report by course and then section, click the Course column header, then press the Shift key and select the Section header.
To filter the report data shown, click the Filter icon for a column, as shown in the below figure.
The filter options include boolean and partial filter parameters such as contains, equals, does not equal, starts with, and ends with, as shown in the below figure.
Column filters can be layered. If you filter the report based on one column's data, the next filter you apply will further limit the report based on both filters' criteria.
To clear any sorting or filters placed on the report, click Clear All, located in the top left of the report. To return any column order changes to the original default location, refresh the browser page.
To export the report to a CSV file, click EXPORT. Like the report shown on the screen, the CSV export is limited to 10K entries. The export also contains 19 columns, 7 more than appear in the UI.
The export abides by any/all filters you may have on the report shown in the UI.
To run a FULL export, select Clear All first.
The exported CSV file contains 19 columns as opposed to the 12 shown in the UI and described below.
Remember: Media may appear multiple times in the report, if it is published to multiple sections, or views occurred outside of an EchoVideo section, as listed earlier on this page. Ultimately this means the total video count on the Videos card will likely NOT MATCH the total number of rows in the Video Assets report; the count on the Video card counts each piece of media only once.
Columns shown on the report are as follows (along with details where applicable):
- Video Name - The name or title given to the media.
Often, this is the Title given for the capture schedule that created the capture, or it may be "Untitled" if no name is given. For uploaded media, this is usually the filename of the media. The media name can be changed using the Edit Details feature (and frequently is for ad hoc captures, or uploads, or interactive media created from an existing capture).
- Create Date - The date and time the media was created. For copies of media, this is the date/time the copy was made.
- Last Viewing Date - The last date/time the media was viewed.
- Course - The Course number where the media is published and from where the listed views occurred.
- Section Number - The Section Number where the media is published and from where the listed views occurred. If the viewing occurred outside of a course or section (i.e., the media details page, a collection, or an LMS/VLE embed), the Course and Section fields are blank.
- Owner Name - Name of the Owner of the media. This is blank if there is no owner.
- Total Video Views - Total number of times that media has been viewed. See the below section for additional information about public vs. private views.
- Downloads - The total number of times the media has been downloaded from the location listed. If the download occurred outside of a course or section (i.e., the library page, media details page, a collection, or an LMS/VLE embed), these fields are blank. For interactive media, the download is ONLY the video or audio portion of the file; polls cannot be downloaded.
- Public - The total number of views resulting from public links.
- Private - The total number of views resulting from non-public links.
- Video Duration (mins) - Total length of the media in minutes.
- Time Viewed (mins) - Total number of minutes this media has been viewed (from the location for this row).
A word about counting views
A few details you will want to be aware of with respect to the total video views count shown in the report. View counts are logged for all online views of the media. Whether they are logged as Public or Private views is entirely dependent on whether the user is authenticated in EchoVideo, and therefore we know who the viewer is. Some specifics are provided below, based on the location of the viewing.
As always, if you need more specific information on WHO viewed media and from WHERE, use the Analytics tab on the media details page.
For Video Asset Report entries from an EchoVideo course/section:
- A Public view count is given for all views in a classroom/course by "anonymous" students who access the class via a Public, unauthenticated link to the section.
- A Private view count is noted for all views in a classroom by users who are logged in or otherwise authenticated by the system (through an LMS or an institution's single-sign-on process).
For Video Asset Report entries where there is no course/section shown:
- A Public view count is given for all views of a public link to the media or an embedded instance of the media that does not require authentication and the user is not otherwise authenticated.
- A Private view count is given for all views performed through the Media Details page, through a Collection, or via an authenticated embed in an LMS/VLE course. These views can only be performed by authenticated users.
- A Private view count is given for all views performed through a Group. Only EchoVideo users can access group media.
- Interactive media can ONLY have private views; anonymous users cannot view interactive media because they cannot respond to polls.
- A Private view count is given for all views external to EchoVideo IF the user has already been authenticated in EchoVideo. While the link or embed itself may not require authentication, if the user has an active EchoVideo session, we can identify them and log that external view as Private.
- Views performed within the last 12 months are still shown even if the course/section is deleted or the media is unpublished, or even if the media is deleted. These types of entries do not have a course/section shown even if the views were performed while the item was published in EchoVideo.
The view counts do NOT take unique user views into consideration; the counts shown include multiple views by a single user as well as one-time views by unique users. If you need more detailed viewing information about an item, use the Analytics tab on the media details page for any given piece of media.
EchoVideo cannot track views of downloaded media, but the Download column does show how many times the media was downloaded from a given location (row). Downloads can be initiated through the class list for a section, or from the media details page.