Some institutions want to configure automated publishing of content to classes, but do not want that content to be available until the closed captioning for the media is completed. The Delay video availability toggle allows administrators to delay the availability of video media to students until it contains closed captions.
Administrators can set the default at the institution, organization, or department level.
Instructors can also set this at the Section level (unless overrides are disallowed) but may not understand that if there is no captioning provider configured, those videos will never be available to students. In addition, uploaded videos are NOT automatically captioned, and the instructor must request that the admin send the video for captioning. Alternately, manual captions can be applied by uploading a .vtt or .srt file.
To delay video availability until closed captions are present
- Log into Echo360 as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon and select Institution Settings.
General settings appears and Basic Info is selected by default.
- Choose Section Features from the middle panel.
- Scroll down to Student Content Access.
- Enable the Delay Video Availability toggle (it is disabled by default, allowing all captures to be immediately published), as shown in the figure below.
- Review the warning message that appears and click Confirm.
- Check or uncheck the Allow override checkbox to determine whether this toggle setting can be changed at any of the lower organization or department levels.
Auto-publishing of content is now delayed until the closed captions are attached to the media. In addition, while administrators or instructors can select to manually publish video content to a class, the video is unavailable to students until it has closed captioning.
IMPORTANT: Manually uploaded videos are NOT automatically sent for captioning; an administrator will need to manually submit those items for captioning before they will be made available to students in the classroom. To manually submit a video for captions, click the item from the Admin's CAPTURES page, then click Details > Add next to Captions on the left side of the capture details page.