Occasionally, you may be asked by Customer Support to perform a Device Reset. Typically this is requested to address troubleshooting issues, such as a device becoming overdue, failing to upgrade, etc.
IMPORTANT!! The reset process will erase any recordings currently on the appliance. Be sure to save any captures you want to keep to external media or upload these captures to EchoVideo if they have not been already, prior to resetting the device. Log into the legacy device Web UI to check capture upload status (Status tab) and to re-upload saved captures (Diagnostics tab).
The procedure differs depending on what type of device you have:
- The EchoVideo Pro and EchoVideo Pod can both be reset using the Administration menu on the front panel of the device.
- The legacy SafeCapture HD must have a reset file applied manually. A link to this file is located below, and should be saved to a FAT32 formatted thumb drive.
If resetting an SCHD appliance, there are two IMPORTANT points you must know:
1) You MUST download and use a new device reset file (link below). Do not use an older file. We regularly include security and device upgrades via this file; use the new one to be sure you are getting all of the features and protections available for your appliance.
2) If your SCHD has a reset button on the front, you can use this to reset the device, however the instructions below allow you to get the latest device reset file, as well as put the necessary configuration file (device.xml) onto the USB drive and apply them both to the appliance at the same time.
- On the front panel of the Pro, navigate to the Administration option of the main menu, and press the Enter button on the Pro.
- Using the up and down arrow buttons, scroll to Factory reset device and press Enter.
- Select either Save Settings or Delete Settings as follows:
- Save Settings - Retains the configuration file currently applied, so that after the PRO reboots itself and resets the other factory settings, it can register itself automatically with EchoVideo and apply the default configuration settings.
- Delete Settings - Resets the device entirely, including removing the currently applied configuration file. After the Pro reboots itself and resets to factory settings, you will need to download and apply the configuration file for the device.
- Using the touchpad of the Pod, navigate to and tap the Administration option of the main menu.
- Scroll down to and tap Factory reset device.
- Select either Save Settings or Delete Settings as follows:
- Save Settings - Retains the configuration file currently applied, so that after the Pod reboots itself and resets the other factory settings, it can register itself automatically with EchoVideo and apply the default device configuration settings.
- Delete Settings - Resets the device entirely, including removing the currently applied device configuration file. After the Pod reboots itself and resets to factory settings, you will need to download and apply the configuration file for the device.
Legacy SafeCapture HD
Before you begin, make sure you have a FAT32 formatted thumb drive. This will hold both the device reset file and the device configuration file (
DO NOT use an older version of the device_reset.tgz file; download the newest version using the link below for resetting the device.
- Insert a FAT32 formatted thumb drive into the USB port of the computer.
- Log into EchoVideo as an admin, and click the Settings icon (it looks like a gear) in the top right corner of the screen.
- Navigate to Configuration > Default device configurations, then click SCHD from the top of the page.
- Check the settings (and adjust if necessary) then scroll to the bottom and click SAVE if you made changes.
- Click Common Settings from the top of the page.
- Check and adjust the common settings if necessary, then click Download or Save and then Download as appropriate.
- Save the downloaded device configuration file to the root directory of the thumb drive.
- Use the following link to download the device reset file: https://echo360.box.com/s/vw6x6n9fsc9coo8up2h93cgtjvnuelax.
- Copy the downloaded reset file to the root directory of the thumb drive.
- Eject/Remove the thumb drive from the computer and take it to the appliance you need to reset.
- Insert the thumb drive into the USB port of the SCHD.
- Wait for the LEDs on the SCHD to flash blue. This may take several minutes. For more information on the LEDs and what they mean, please see Understanding the LEDs on the SCHD.
- Once the LEDs flash blue, remove the thumb drive from the SCHD appliance.
The SCHD will reboot and register itself automatically. This may take several minutes.
All SafeCapture HD's manufactured after March 2015 allow you to perform a factory reset, via the reset button located on the back of the device. Note that the reset process can take up to 10 minutes. Ensure that the unit does not lose power or is restarted during the reset process.
If your device was manufactured prior to March 2015, the factory reset capability must be applied to the device through a device firmware update. In all likelihood, this has already happened. However you can ask the following questions; if you answer "Yes" to ANY of them, the device's firmware supports the pushbutton reset to factory settings:
- Has the device been successfully connected to EchoVideo?
- For customers migrating to EchoVideo active learning platform from ESS, was the ESS running 5.4 Service Pack 5, and did you update your firmware then?
- Did you otherwise run a
device_reset.tgzthat had the support of this feature?
To activate the reset, the reset button must be pressed while powering on the device. Pushing the reset button by itself is not sufficient.
IMPORTANT!! As with all factory resets, any captures that were NOT uploaded to EchoVideo and are saved on the unit will be lost as a part of the reset process.
To perform a push-button SCHD factory reset
- While the SafeCapture HD is powered off, press and hold the reset button. It is a small black button, identified in the below figure, located to the left of the power-assembly, on the back of the SCHD device.
- While pressing the button, power on the SafeCapture HD. Continue holding the button.
- Release the button after 10 seconds.