Whenever you are publishing a test to deliver it as an online exam, you have the option to enable Browser Lock. Using Browser Lock with an online Exam prevents academic dishonesty and focuses the learner’s attention on the exam. With Browser Lock, learners cannot access other browser tabs, search engines, open other programs on their device, or view additional monitors connected to their device.
Safe Exam Browser for EchoExam is available for Mac and PC operating systems. It does not work on Chromebooks. Chromebooks, when set up properly, are a secure platform for student assessment.
What Is Browser Lock
Browser Lock uses Safe Exam Browser for EchoExam to:
- Automatically start the exam in full-screen mode to prevent the learner from viewing or interacting with other applications while taking the exam.
- Prevent learners from opening additional browser tabs or otherwise exiting full-screen mode (including with keyboard controls).
- Prevent learners from opening additional browser windows OR from opening or accessing other device applications (including keyboard controls).
- Prevent learners from viewing applications, content, or other information displayed on an additional monitor connected to the device.
- Prevent learners from opening notes or a search engine on an external monitor and taking the exam on a separate device screen.
- Prevent learners from using screen share or web conferencing tools.
Require learners to complete the exam in one sitting. Learners will not be able to exit Safe Exam Browser for EchoExam unless they submit their exam attempt.
Publish an Online Test With Browser Lock
- Log into EchoExam using your Instructor account.
- From the My Library tab, select Tests from the menu.
- Click on the three vertical dots to open the action menu on an existing test and select Publish.
You may also click Publish within the Test Editor.
- Choose a Course Record from the drop-down to publish the test or search and select a specific course.
- Optionally, you may change the Exam Name.
The Exam Name is pre-filled with the test name and the date
- Click Show Settings.
Configure settings as you normally would when publishing an online exam.
- Enable Browser Lock.
You will see an Exit Password displayed for Browser Lock. This password can be provided to a learner if you would like to allow them to exit Safe Exam Browser for EchoExam in the middle of an attempt, without being penalized. Keep in mind that providing this password to a learner will allow them to exit full-screen mode and other Browser Lock features without having to submit their attempt. The password is available for you in the Exam settings page at any time.
- Click Save.
When you click Save, your exam is created within the selected course, but it is not yet available to learners. You must first access a course directly to adjust the roster for the exam (if desired) and to set the start / end date / times for the exam (if desired). Next, from My Courses > Exam, click Assign to make the exam either immediately available or available at the start date / time you selected.
If the test is interrupted due to the internet going down, a loss of power, etc., learners are able to reopen the browser to continue where they left off. In some very extreme cases (i.e., a power loss forces a computer to restart and then a system check is required, etc.) SEB might detect suspicious activity. If this occurs, learners may be required to enter the Browser Lock password to continue.