Classes are the logical sub-divisions of Sections. Classes act as containers for the media presented to students, such as recordings of lectures and uploaded presentations, as well as discussions or Q&A sessions about the class. See Viewing Classroom Content for more information.
Class Groups are containers for Classes, designed to allow instructors or teaching assistants to organize lectures with similar subject matter, or to group several pieces of media (contained in classes) together that pertain to a single topic. Class Groups do not contain media themselves; the classes within a class group contain the media for students to view.
Classes are created in the following ways:
- When the Administrator creates a capture schedule to record classes for a section. These classes have the same name as the schedule by default, which is also often the name of the section.
- When an ad hoc capture is generated for the section. Clicking Create at the top of the section class list can launch Universal Capture to generate an ad hoc capture for the section and create a class.
- When an instructor or teaching assistant manually creates a class. Often this is done as a function of publishing a piece of media to the section.
Class Groups are ONLY manually created objects, by the instructor or teaching assistant, who can then move existing classes into the class group.
Refer to the following articles for help creating, managing, and deleting classes or class groups in your section.
- Adding a Class to a Course
- Adding a Class Group to a Course
- Reordering Classes or Adding Classes to a Class Group
- Editing Class/Class Group Details
- Deleting a Class or Class Group
See Understanding the Class List for information on navigating through the Class List page for a course.
See also the help articles located in Managing Media in Classes for information on controlling the content published to classes and student access to it.
Note about duplicate class dates/times: EchoVideo allows you to create one class that duplicates an existing class date/time - typically one manually created class that duplicates a capture schedule-created class. If you try to create a second duplicate, one of the original classes may disappear from the class list. If this happens, edit the class details to offset the start time by at least one minute. The original class (including any content) will reappear.