The EchoVideo active learning platform allows for a three-tiered organizational hierarchy using the following levels: Institution > Organization > Department. The Institution is the top-most level of the hierarchy and represents your EchoVideo institutional account. For more details on these hierarchical levels, see Defining the Organizational Hierarchy.
When you create courses, you have the option to assign those to an organization and/or a department. Organizations and Departments are not required by the system, but do make finding and managing your courses easier if you have a large deployment.
Designated Administration relies on the use of organizations and departments. Using the Scheduler role does not require it, because Schedulers, by definition, can ONLY access courses, the sections within them, and capture schedules for the sections. However, having the hierarchy in place can help distribute the responsibility for managing those courses, sections, and capture schedules.
Assigning the Scheduler role to a user provides that user with administrative access to the Courses page, and therefore only to the courses, sections, and section schedules in the system. Schedulers can also access the Imports/Exports page, and can generate all exports but only run imports for those objects they have been given the rights to access.
IMPORTANT: After adding a scheduler user or adding that role to an existing user, YOU MUST EXPLICITLY SET their access, either at the Institution level at one or more Organization/Department levels. If you do not provide explicit access to some level in the system, the user can log in but the Courses page will be empty.
Designating Scheduler access to one or more organizations or departments limits the scheduler's access to the following:
- Courses within that organization or department and their associated sections.
For example: the user can only create a course within the organization or department to which they have administrative rights. They can edit any course within their org/dept hierarchy but they cannot move the course to an org or dept to which they do not have rights.
- Capture Schedules for sections associated with courses within their org/dept hierarchy.
- The ability to create, edit, or delete all terms in the system.
- The ability to create, edit, or delete courses, sections, and section schedules within the organization(s) and department(s) to which they are assigned.
The Institution Settings page provides the list of Scheduler-Role users in the system and allows you to grant access at the appropriate levels.
Access rights are given from the top down. Meaning if you give access to the organization, the scheduler has access to all departments within the organization. To give access to only select departments, remove organizational access and set each department individually.
To enable and set designated administration:
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
General settings appears and Basic Info is selected by default.
- On the left side of the Institution Settings page, select Organizations and Departments.
The Institution and all organizations and departments are listed on the left, with settings shown on the right.
- Navigate to and select the Department or Organization node from the left to which the user(s) should have scheduling rights. Or remain at the Institution level.
- Click Scheduler from the right side of the page.
- Scroll through or use the Search box to find the scheduler(s) you need to provide with access.
- Click a check into the box to the left of the scheduler you want to give access to.
- Repeat the above steps to provide additional schedulers with appropriate hierarchical access.
When finished, you may want to ask the schedulers to log in as their scheduler role and confirm they can see the Courses page and the courses and sections within the organization or department to which they have been granted access.