Before you disable Designated Administration, know that if you have Administrators set at Organization or Department levels (anything lower than Institution-level), all of those administrators retain their lower-level access. They are NOT automatically given Institution-level access.
However, while Designated Administration is OFF, you cannot change the access level for any of these admins. The Administrators tab is no longer available.
If your intent is to return all administrators to institution-level admins, check the box for all admins at the Institution level, then turn Designated Administration off. This is shown in the below figure as well as described in the below procedure.
To establish Designated Admin(s) as an institution-level Administrator(s) and turn Designated Administration off
- Log in as an administrator and click the Settings icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click Institution Settings.
- Be sure the Institution node is selected (it is by default on the first entry).
- Click Features above the right panel and be sure the Designated Administration toggle is turned ON.
- Click Administrators.
- Enter a check into the box for all Admins you want to give Institution-level Administrator rights to. Use the Search box to find administrators as necessary.
- Return to the Features tab and turn the main Designated Administration toggle off.
Now those Admins who are checked at the institution-level will have institution-level administrative access. For more details on what that means, see User Roles, Capabilities, and Limitations.