While users can edit their own personal information in the system, you as the administrator may be responsible for editing other aspects of the user, including adding/removing a role assignment or adding/removing section enrollments for a user.
Editing of users begins by opening the Users page and finding the user(s) you want to edit. You can make changes to individual users using the chevron menu shown below, or select a group of users and make bulk changes for a group of users.
The options available for individual users include:
Edit - allows you to view and edit user details. The fields available are the same as those given when adding a user. This also allows you to:
- View and Edit User Information - allows you to edit the first name, last name, email address, phone number, or SSO ID of the selected user.
- View and Edit Role & Permissions - allows you to edit the role or permissions of the selected user.
- View and Edit Section Enrollments - allows you to see all of the sections in which the user is enrolled, add or remove section enrollments, and change the role this user has in assigned sections.
- View and Edit Collection Enrollments - allows you to see all of the collections of which the user is a member, add or remove collection membership, and change the access level this user has in the assigned collections.
- View and Edit Hierarchy Assignment - allows you to see all of the levels of the Institution Hierarchy that the Administrator or Scheduler user is associated with, as well as change the Hierarchy assignments.
IMPORTANT: If user information comes in from an external system (a Single-Sign-On or LMS/VLE), any changes you make in EchoVideo are likely to be overwritten by the external system the next time the user accesses EchoVideo. It is recommended that you make these changes in the system of provenance and allow them to propagate into EchoVideo the way they normally do, if possible.
Make Inactive - deactivates this user account without deleting the account (retaining the user's information in the system, including analytics). Deactivated users CANNOT access EchoVideo either directly or through an LMS/VLE or SSO system.
Do not deactivate system-generated anonymous users. Public access links to sections require the creation of anonymous users in the system, allowing non-registered users to "pose" as these users to view sections. Deactivating these users will eliminate public access to sections that should be available to non-registered users. If you see a user whose name or email address is "firstname.lastname@example.org", or begins with "Anon-", that user is likely one of the anonymous users set up for public section link access.
- Reset LMS Accounts - removes all LMS IDs with this user account and resets the user account as "fresh" from the LMS. Often this is useful if you have an LMS user with cross-linked accounts.
- Delete Users - users can be permanently deleted from the system. This cannot be undone! It may be better to first deactivate the user, which removes all access to the system, for some period of time prior to deleting them.
FYI: Invited and Inactive users have different options than shown above. Invited users allow you to resend the invitation, delete the user, and adjust their enrollments. Inactive users allow you to make the user active, delete the user, or reset their LMS account.
Editing Multiple Users
There are a few functions you can perform on a group of users at once, including resending invites, resetting their LMS accounts, making them active/inactive, bulk role/permission changes, managing their memberships, or bulk deletion.
The best method for using the bulk change capability is to filter the user list by status or role, using the Search field to further limit the list. Then select the checkboxes for the users you want to edit. For example, filter the list for only Invited users, check the boxes for those users, and resend the registration invitation. Or search the list for "Instructor, Student" and assign those users Teaching Assistant (revoking Instructor or Student) where appropriate.
NOTE: When you revoke a role for a user, that user is automatically removed from all sections where the user was enrolled with that role. If you are replacing one role with another (such as Instructor with Teaching Assistant) you will need to re-enroll that user into the appropriate sections as the new role. If a role box is UNCHECKED, that role is REMOVED from all of the selected users, if they currently have it.
To bulk edit multiple users
- Select Users from the main menu, as shown in the figure below.
- Use the filter or search option at the left of the page, as shown in the figure above.
Page navigation buttons will appear depending on how many results you are reviewing and how many users are in the institution.
- Find and select the users to edit. You can select users one by one or by clicking the box next to User and you can change how many results are displayed per page, as shown in the figure below.
Actions are taken per page of users, not all filtered results.
- When you have selected more than one user, a menu appears at the bottom of the screen, as shown in the figure above.
- Invitations will only go out to users in the Invited status.
- Only users with LMS data will be reset.
- Only Inactive users will be activated.
- Only Active users will be deactivated.
Manage Roles and Permissions
- Change Role - Select their new role. All existing roles will be removed and replaced with the ones selected.
- Add Role(s) - Select a role to append to the ones they already have. Users who already have this role will not be affected.
- Change Permissions - Select their new permission(s). All existing permissions will be removed and replaced with the one(s) selected. Administrators are not affected and will always have all permissions.
- Add Permissions - Select a permission to append to the ones they already have. Users who already have this permission will not be affected. Administrators are not affected and will always have all permissions.
- Sections - Add a new enrollment into a Term, Course, Section, Role
- Collections - Add a new enrollment into a Collection and Access Level
- Hierarchy (Administrator) - Grant administrative rights to one or more levels of the organizational hierarchy.
- Hierarchy (Scheduler) - Grant scheduling rights to one or more levels of the organizational hierarchy.
- All user profile information will be deleted. There is no recovery option once user account deletion is complete.
- Resend Mail
- Review the message that appears for each action and confirm the bulk action.
Users are updated with the changes.