Build, edit, share, and post video and audio playlists with your EchoVideo content. Currently, you can only make them on the fly from within your LMS, but support for playlist creation from within EchoVideo is coming soon. When embedding your playlist, set auto-play next and order enforcement options that prevent users from viewing the next video before they finish the previous one(s).
With this first release of playlists, be aware of the following:
- Playlists can only be seen, created, and used from within the Easy Embed tool in your LMS.
- Support within EchoVideo coming soon!
- Only audio and video content is supported.
- Interactive media, spherical videos, polls, and presentations coming soon!
- There are not yet analytics for the playlist as a whole, however, analytics are generated for the individual pieces of media that make up the playlist.
- More analytics coming soon!
Prerequisites for using the EchoVideo Embed button to create a playlist:
Your LMS / VLE Administrator must have installed and enabled the EchoVideo Embed button for your LMS / VLE instance.
If your LMS / VLE administrator has enabled it for your institution, you should see an EchoVideo button in the content window toolbars of your LMS / VLE. The button looks something like one of the following logos (but smaller). Which logo you see depends on what was configured by your administrator when integrating EchoVodeo with your LMS.
The button in a Canvas toolbar looks like this:
The button in a Moodle toolbar looks like this:
In Blackboard, you don't get an EchoVideo play button; you get a plus sign, where you then select your EchoVideo Video library option (in Learn)...
...or select LTI item or the Content Marketplace (in Ultra).
This first image is for embedding into a content window in Ultra.
The second image below is for embedding media directly into the course content page.
In D2L / Brightspace you use the Insert Stuff button, then select the EchoVideo video option.
Creating a Playlist
- Log in to your LMS / VLE.
- Open the Course for the course you want to create the playlist in.
- Find the location where you want to create the playlist.
- Select to add one of the item types (Page, Assignment, Document, etc.).
- Give the item a Name that identifies either the video you are posting or the purpose for posting it (extra credit, ancillary research, look at my cute puppy, etc.).
- From the toolbar of the content window, click the Echo360 icon, as identified in one of the above figures.
A dialog box appears.
- Click Launch Media Picker to open a window with your recent content, listing the EchoVideo audio, video, or interactive media you own, any existing playlists, as well as media in any Collection where you have the Post permission. If you need to upload media to embed, click Upload Media or Upload Spherical Video (360°), and refer to the instructions in the link if necessary.
You can select up to 50 pieces of media to include in your playlist.
- If necessary, use the Search text box and / or Filters options to find the media you want to embed into the window.
Select the media you want to embed.
You may select up to 50 video / audio files.
- Click Next.
The dialog box changes to the Playlist Options.
- Enter a Playlist Name, Description (optional), and / or Tags (optional).
- Toggle on the Settings for your playlist.
- Enforce Order - prevent user from proceeding until they finish the preceding media.
- Autoplay Next - the next piece of media in your playlist automatically plays when the previous piece finishes playing.
- Click Next.
The dialog box changes to the Playlist Content.
- Use the vertical grip dots on the left to drag and drop your media to rearrange the order. Use the vertical ellipsis on the right to delete the media from the playlist.
- Click Next.
The dialog box changes to the Embed Options.
- From the Player Size drop-down list, select the size for the media playback. It is 640 x 420 by default.
- From the Player Style drop-down list, select the style you want to be applied to the player.
The Player Style drop-down only appears if your institution has created custom player styles to choose from. If you have selection options, pick the one for your department or organization (or the default) that you want applied to the playback of this media.
Selecting a style may automatically select Size, Autoplay, and Automute options for you; these can still be changed.
- If appropriate, enable the option to Autoplay the video (it will play as soon as a user opens the page you are embedding it into).
- If you enable Autoplay, Automute is automatically enabled, to accommodate browsers that no longer allow autoplay with sound. You CAN enable Automute separately without Autoplay.
- If appropriate, set a Start At time. If set, the video will begin playing at that timestamp, although viewers will be able to rewind/fast-forward the player to view any segment of the embedded video.
- When finished, click Embed.
- Complete whatever remaining fields are on the item you are adding, then click Save or Save & Publish as appropriate.
Once the item is published, users can access the item and view the embedded video. If you selected Autoplay or Start At configurations for the video, those are enacted for the viewer.