If you have a question or comment to make while viewing media or want to reply to a post someone else made, use the Discussion panel.
Discussions are available for all LMS/VLE course media as well as all EchoVideo course media. They are not available for public links.
If the media is embedded on a page, you should see a Discussions link below the main playback panel. This opens the media into its own tab, with the Discussion panel appearing on the right side, as shown in the below figure. If you are also viewing the media Transcript panel, Discussions appear below the playback area instead.
Each comment or reply can accept several thousand characters, but line breaks you may enter are not retained. This means that the readability of the post provides a practical limit to how much text you can enter. Discussion entries also allow you to attach a file (up to 10MB) along with your text.
Creating a New Comment
The Discussions panel shows a + Comment button that changes the top of the panel to provide a text box and options for your comment.
To create a discussion post/comment
- Click + Comment.
- Enter text into the Comment field.
- Click the paperclip icon to include an attachment with your comment.
- Select whether to Reference content with the question. This simply means that the media playback will sync to the location referenced when another user selects it. This can help provide necessary context for your post.
- Enable the Hide my name slider to hide your name from other students viewing the comment. Instructors and Teaching Assistants can always see the authors of all posts.
- Click Confirm.
The comment can now be viewed and replied to by other users viewing the media.
If you are commenting on Interactive Media and you or another user references a location beyond a poll in the media, other users will not see that post or any replies until they have answered any/all polls located before the referenced location. The Discussion panel provides a notification indicating one or more posts are currently hidden.
Reply to a Comment
Any posted comment can receive multiple replies, generating discussions between users about the material. Use the View Replies/Hide Replies links located below each comment to show or hide that post's thread.
To respond to a discussion post/comment
- Click the Reply icon
Click the View Replies link directly below the comment.
Both are identified in the below figure.
The comment thread expands to provide a Reply field as shown below.
- Enter text into the Reply field.
- Click the paperclip icon to include an attachment with your reply if appropriate (up to a 10MB file).
- Enable the Hide my name slider to hide your name from other students. Instructors and Teaching Assistants can always see the authors of all posts.
- Click Confirm.
Additional Discussion Features
To endorse or agree with a particular post, click the Like icon.
Click the Edit icon (pencil) located to the right of a comment/reply to edit a post. All users can edit their own (and only their own) questions or responses.
Click the Delete icon (trash can) located to the right of a comment/reply to delete a post. All users can delete their own posts, and instructors can delete any post.
Both of these icons are shown in the figures earlier on this page.