Updating your Canvas Apps: If you have created different EchoVideo apps in Canvas, one with each type of functionality available, updating the apps to use new functionality such as authenticated embed views is as simple as removing the old apps and replacing them with new ones, using the instructions below. If, however, your Course Navigation app is coupled with the others, you must use the Canvas API to update the app configuration. If you delete the old "Course navigation" app for section linking and replace it, links into EchoVideo will work but Gradebook exports to existing assignment link columns will not. If you need assistance updating the app via the API, contact EchoVideo Support.
The same type of EchoVideo app you added to link Canvas Courses into EchoVideo sections, can also be used to add an EchoVideo Homework Submissions option for students. This allows Instructors to create video submission assignments and allows students to embed videos from their EchoVideo library as their homework submission to the assignment. Videos submitted this way as assignment submissions are then locked in EchoVideo, meaning the student cannot edit or delete the video after submission.
IMPORTANT: For students to be able to submit EchoVideo media as homework assignments, you MUST enable the Student Library.
The instructions below provide instructions for generating an XML cartridge for your Canvas LMS configuration, and then use that to create an App in Canvas that enables Instructor video submission assignments and student EchoVideo media submissions to those assignments.
While you can add the EchoVideo App at the Course level, we STRONGLY RECOMMEND adding it at the Account (or sub-account) level. Adding the app to the account level automatically makes it available for every course configured for the account.
These procedures must be performed by the LMS / EchoVideo administrator.
A helpful tip for updating the App: You may want to rename the existing Homework Submission app so you can identify it from the new, updated one you create. This will make deleting it after the new one is in place easier. Removing the old App will not affect the viewability of existing embedded video submissions.
To generate an XML cartridge that provides for EchoVideo video assignments and student submissions
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
General settings appear and Basic Info is selected by default.
- From the left panel, select Integrations, as shown in the figure below.
- From the middle panel, select LMS / VLE, as shown in the figure below.
LTI 1.1 is selected by default.
- Find your existing Canvas LMS configuration.
If you do not have one yet, click Add Configuration then select Canvas from the drop-down list, and click Save. See also Configuring EchoVideo with your LMS.
- Select the XML Config tab, as shown in the figure below.
- Choose a Placement Type.
The XML you paste into Canvas can have ONE and ONLY ONE "course_navigation" placement block. Course navigation and My EchoVideo library placements both create "course_navigation" blocks in the XML.
- Enable ONLY the Video assignments slider.
- Click Copy XML.
The XML cartridge text is copied to your clipboard.
- In a new tab or window, log into Canvas as an administrator.
Leave the EchoVideo tab / window open, as you will need to return to the LMS configuration page to copy the Key and Secret values from the LTI tab in Echo into Canvas.
- Click Admin from the left, and navigate to the Account (or sub-account) that contains the courses where instructors will want to embed Echo videos into content windows.
- From the left side of the screen, select Settings.
- Click Apps from the top of the Settings page.
- Click View App Configurations to see the list of already installed external apps. Your existing EchoVideo app for course linking should already be listed.
- Click + App.
- In the Configuration Type drop-down list at the top of the Add App dialog box, select Paste XML.
- Enter a Name for this app. This can be anything you want but should identify this as the EchoVideo Video assignment app. This will be the name that appears in the tab for students when submitting their assignments.
- Click into the XML Configuration section of the dialog box and press Ctrl + V or Command + V to paste the copied XML from EchoVideo.
- Go back to the EchoVideo window and click the LTI tab for the Canvas configuration if necessary, as shown below.
- Click the Copy to Clipboard button next to the Consumer Key value from EchoVideo, then paste it into the Consumer Key field in Canvas.
Click the Copy button to quickly copy the value. However, you can also click into the field, type Ctrl + A / Command + A to select all, then Ctrl + C / Command + C to copy; use Ctrl + V / Command + V to paste into Canvas.
- From the EchoVideo window, click the Copy to Clipboard button next to the Shared Secret value from EchoVideo and paste it into the Shared Secret field in Canvas. (See above Tip for copying.)
- Click Submit when finished.
You should now see your new video submission app in your Canvas app configuration list. If you already have a Course Navigation app and a Content Embed app, those will also be listed.
If you click the Info button for each and check Placements, the new app should show Homework Submissions as the placement.
Have instructors follow the instructions located in Creating a Canvas Assignment for Student Video Submission from EchoVideo. The benefit of using EchoVideo for these submissions is that once the video is submitted for the assignment, EchoVideo locks the video; the student cannot edit or delete the video once submitted.