Some institutions that use an LMS allow (or require) their instructors to create the Echo360 courses and/or sections to which their LMS courses link. Some institutions consider Echo course/section creation an Administrator responsibility, allowing instructors to just select which course and section to link to.
However, some instructors may try to create these items in Echo360 if the interface allows them. If the Admin has already created the course/sections to be linked, the LMS link will point to the wrong Echo section, causing significant problems and confusion.
To avoid this possibility, the Administrator can disable the LMS section creation option, so that instructors do not see the option to create a new course and/or section via the LMS link into Echo360. They will only have the ability to select an existing course and section to link through their LMS course page.
To disable course creation by instructors through the LMS
- Log into Echo360 as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
General settings appears and Basic Info is selected by default.
- Click Integration.
- From the middle panel, select LMS/VLE.
The LTI 1.1 tab is selected by default.
- In Global LMS Settings, under the Section options (Content Linking), uncheck the box next to Only allow users to link LMS courses to sections they are an Instructor of., as shown in the below figure.
- Click SAVE to save your change.
The ability to create Echo360 courses and/or sections through the LMS is now disabled. Instructors will only see the page allowing them to select a course and section to link to.
IMPORTANT: The courses and sections must exist in Echo360 in order for them to appear in the selection lists for linking to an LMS course.