The procedures on this page must be performed by a user who is an Administrator in both Brightspace AND Echo360.
Providing a direct link to users' Echo360 media library involves creating an External Tool for the library and then adding that tool to the main navigation in Brightspace. The procedures on this page are for creating the external tool. They are nearly identical to the procedures for adding the original Echo360 course-linking tool.
BEST PRACTICE: Selecting and copying the values between Echo360 and the LMS can be difficult, and can be prone to selection errors. To select the full value of an LMS field, do the following:
1) Use your mouse to select a portion of the field values.
2) Press Ctrl+A / Command+A to "select all" of the field.
3) Press Ctrl+C / Command + C to copy the selected value.
4) Paste the value into the corresponding field in the LMS LTI External Tool configuration.
The procedures below are provided as guidelines to the Brightspace tool configuration process. Refer to the Brightspace documentation for additional details or contact Brightspace product support if you need further assistance.
To obtain the LMS Configuration values in Echo360
- Log into Echo360 as an Administrator.
- Select the Settings icon in upper-right of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Configurations.
The LMS Configurations tab is active by default.
- In the main panel on the right, select Configurations as shown in the below figure.
- Find your existing Brightspace/Desire2Learn configuration. If you do not have one already, you need to create one.
The values provided in the Desire2Learn configuration are the values you will use in the External Learning Tool in Brightspace.
Tip: While Desire2Learn is the option available from the LMS drop-down list, you can edit the LMS Name in the textbox and click SAVE if you prefer your configuration read "Brightspace". This is shown in the above figure.
To create an external tool link to the Echo360 Library
- Log into Brightspace as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the top right corner (it looks like gears)
- In the Organization Related options, select External Learning Tools.
- The Manage External Tool Links tab appears by default
- Click New Link as shown in the below figure.
- In the Create Link form, enter a Title that clearly identifies THIS link as being to the Echo360 Library.
- In the URL field, copy and paste the Host URL from the Echo360 LMS Configuration block shown in the top section of this page.
- Place your cursor at the END of the pasted URL and append it with the following: /launch/medialibrary THIS IS CASE SENSITIVE!! Be sure to enter the text in all lower case, exactly as provided here and shown in the below figure.
- Be sure the Visibility checkbox is checked, to allow users to access the library link.
- Scroll down to the Key/Secret section of the page, and select the Link key/secret radio button.
- Copy/paste the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret values from Echo360 into the corresponding fields in the form as shown below.
- Scroll down to the Security Settings area of the page. Check the boxes that are appropriate for your institution. AT A MINIMUM, Echo360 requires the user name, user email address, and role. Other selections may aid in the LTI communication required for future integration, so unless you have a specific reason not to, checking all of the options is recommended.
- At the bottom of the form, click Add Org Units.
- Find the main Organizational unit (or the one to which you want to make this tool provider available).
Check the box for the organizational unit, and select to make the link available for All descendants of the org unit. This ensures the tool is available for users and courses within that organization/department.
- When finished with the Tool Provider form, click Save and Close.
The new link can now be selected to add to navigation throughout the interface. See Adding an Echo360 Library Link to the Top Navigation for further instructions.
When a user selects the added link, their Echo360 Library opens in the Brightspace window.