If your LMS/VLE allows for embedding Echo360 media into your course, you have multiple options for creating or selecting media to embed. One of those options is to launch your local installation of Universal Capture and create a new recording, then embed the new media as a single process.
If Universal Capture (UC) is already installed on the computer, Universal Capture automatically opens to the Preview screen. If Universal Capture is not installed or detected on the computer, you are given the option to install it (for students, UC downloads must be enabled). You are then returned to the Embed Media window to launch the application.
This page provides instructions for using the Create New Media option in the Embed media dialog box. The procedures provided here are designed to be fairly generic and apply across all LMS/VLEs. The only differences from one LMS/VLE to another is HOW you access the Embed media dialog box.
If you need preliminary instructions, see Embedding Echo360 Media into your LMS/VLE Course, OR the select the appropriate LMS-specific help article below:
- Embedding Echo360 Media into Blackboard Learn or Original View Courses
- Embedding Echo360 Media in an Ultra-enabled Course
- Embedding Echo360 Media into Canvas
- Embedding Echo360 Media into Moodle
- Embedding Echo360 Media into Moodle via Activity Link
- Embedding Echo360 Media into Brightspace
- Embedding Echo360 Videos into Sakai
The instructions here are nearly identical to those provided in the above LMS-specific links, with the exception of creating the recording first, then selecting it from the available media list.
To create a new recording to embed into your LMS course
- Enter your LMS/VLE course and create/open the location where you want to embed the media.
- Access the Echo360 embed media tool as appropriate for the LMS you are using.
The Embed media dialog box appears with the Choose From My Home tab active.
- Select the Create New Media tab, as identified in the below figure.
- Click Launch Universal Capture.
If UC is installed on the computer, it opens in a new window, allowing you to select your inputs and start recording whenever you are ready.
If UC is not installed or detected on the computer, you are given the option to install it, then returned to the Embed Media window to launch the application.
- When you are finished recording, click Finish.
Once the upload completes, the Library tab of the Embed media dialog box re-appears. Use the Search box to find the item you just uploaded by name.
Click ON the newly uploaded file then click Next.
The page changes to provide playback options shown in the below figure.
- If you want to embed a Link instead of the media itself, enable the Link toggle. This changes the options available as discussed in Posting a Link to Echo360 Media in your LMS/VLE Course.
- From the Player Style drop-down list, select the style you want to be applied to the player.
The Player Style drop-down only appears if your institution has created custom player styles to choose from. If you have selection options, pick the one for your department or organization (or the default) that you want applied to the playback of this media.
Selecting a style may automatically select Size, Autoplay, and Automute options for you; these can still be changed.
- From the Select size drop-down list, select the size you want for the embedded video. The default selection is 640 x 420.
- After selecting a size, you have the option to Autoplay the video (it will play as soon as a user opens the page you are embedding it into).
- If you enable Autoplay, Automute is automatically enabled, to accommodate browsers that no longer allow autoplay with sound. You CAN enable Automute separately without Autoplay.
- If appropriate, set a Start At time. If set, the video will begin playing at that timestamp, although viewers will be able to rewind/fast-forward the player to view any segment of the embedded video.
- If you want to embed a Link instead of the media itself, enable the Link toggle. For more information, see Posting a Link to Echo360 Media in your LMS/VLE Course.
- When finished, click INSERT.
- Complete whatever remaining fields there are for the LMS item you are adding, and Save.
The Preview and the published version of the newly uploaded file will likely display a message indicating that the media is currently processing, as shown in the example figure below. Once processing completes, the embedded media appears. If you selected Autoplay or Start At configurations for the video, those are enacted for the viewer on playback.