Prerequisites for using the Echo360 Media Embed Activity:
1) A Moodle Administrator must have created the Echo360 LTI activity tool for embedding media on your Moodle instance.
2) For Students to embed media, the Student Library MAY need to be turned on for your institution. OR Students can embed media from any Collection where they have the Post permission.
If a Moodle Admin has created it for your institution, you will find an Echo360 Embed Media activity listed in the Add Activity list for your courses. The Embed Media activity tool opens the Echo360 Embed media dialog box.
The Echo360 Embed Media dialog box provides the ability to:
- Embed media from Echo360 directly into your Moodle course as described on this page
- Upload a media file then embed it as a single process
- Create new media with Universal Capture then embed it a single process
- Post a link to the media (instead of embedding it) into Moodle
This tool should appear in the Add an activity list, shown below, that pops up when you select to Add and activity to your course.
LMS-Embedded media provide view data such as view counts and heatmap data, along with individual user viewing information, all of which is displayed in the Analytics tab of the media details page.
The steps below are for selecting media already resident in Echo360. The Embed Media dialog box lists all Echo360 media you own as well as any audio, video, or interactive media in any Collection where you have the Post permission. If you need to upload or create the media first and need instructions, use the links above for more information.
These procedures add an Activity to a course Topic in Moodle. You can add the activity anywhere you are given the option. If you need assistance, contact your Moodle Administrator or refer to your Moodle documentation.
To embed existing Echo360 media as an Activity
- Log in to Moodle.
- Open the Course in Moodle where you want to post the media.
- If necessary, click the Settings icon for the course and Turn Editing On.
- Find the Topic into which you want to add the page to display the media, and click Add an activity or resource.
- Select the Echo360 Embed Tool from the activity list, as shown earlier on this page.
The add an activity form appears as shown in the below figure.
- Click Select Content to open the Select content window. This is shown in the below figure. Selecting content FIRST will populate the Activity name field for you, using the title of the selected media. You can edit it later.
A dialog box appears with the Library tab active, listing the Echo360 audio, video, or interactive media you own, as well as media in any Collection where you have the Post permission. If you need to upload media to embed, click the Upload Existing Media tab, and refer to the instructions in the link if necessary.
- If necessary, use the Search text box and/or Filters options to find the media you want to add.
Select the media you want to embed and click Next.
The dialog box changes to show the selected media as well as playback configuration options, all of which are described below the figure.
If you want to post a link to the media instead of embedding it directly into the page, enable the Link toggle and if necessary see Posting a Link to Echo360 Media in your LMS/VLE Course.
- From the Player Style drop-down list, select the style you want to be applied to the player.
The Player Style drop-down only appears if your institution has created custom player styles to choose from. If you have selection options, pick the one for your department or organization (or the default) that you want applied to the playback of this media.
Selecting a style may automatically select Size, Autoplay, and Automute options for you; these can still be changed.
- From the Size drop-down list, select the size for the media playback. It is 640x420 by default.
- If appropriate, enable the option to Autoplay the media (it will play as soon as a user opens the page you are embedding it into).
- If you enable Autoplay, Automute is automatically enabled, to accommodate browsers that no longer allow autoplay with sound. You CAN enable Automute separately without Autoplay.
- If appropriate, set a Start At time. If set, the media will begin playing at that timestamp, although viewers will be able to rewind/fast-forward the player to view any segment of the embedded media.
This option is NOT available for interactive media.
- When finished, click Insert.
- If necessary, edit the Activity Name. It is the name of the media you selected but can be changed.
- If desired, select Show more to expand the form to enter a Description for the media you are embedding. This may include instructions to students and/or a deadline for viewing the media.
- Complete any other sections of the form as needed.
- Click Save and return to course or Save and display as appropriate.
Once the item is added, students can click on the activity link to open the media and view it.
If you selected Autoplay or Start At configurations for the media, those are enacted for the user upon viewing.