Who can do this?
A Canvas Administrator who is also an EchoVideo Administrator (or in conjunction with an EchoVideo admin).
Upgrading the EchoVideo Editor Button App in Canvas involves removing or deactivating the existing editor button placement and then creating a new one in Canvas. If you have not updated your EchoVideo embed media app since mid-December 2019, we STRONGLY recommend you do so, to take advantage of significant improvements in functionality.
The newest version of the EchoVideo App provides authentication for all users viewing embedded media, which allows EchoVideo to provide detailed viewing data and unique viewer statistics for embedded media. It also provides the ability to embed interactive media (videos with embedded polling questions) into Canvas courses.
Note that the instructions below are provided as a guide and your Canvas interface may vary depending on how you have your instance configured. Refer to the Canvas documentation for additional assistance if necessary.
For Students to be able to use the embed button, you must enable the Student Library, allowing students to access a cache of EchoVideo media to embed.
While you can add the EchoVideo App at the Course level, we STRONGLY RECOMMEND adding it at the Account (or sub-account) level. Adding the app to the account level automatically makes it available for every course configured for the account.
Removing or Deactivating the Existing EchoVideo Editor Button App
Whether you delete your existing EchoVideo editor button app or deactivate it depends on whether it is currently combined with other EchoVideo apps in your Canvas instance. Instructions for both are provided below.
To find your EchoVideo App configuration
- Log into Canvas as an administrator
- Click Admin from the left navigation, and select the main EchoVideo account.
- From the list of options on the left, click Settings, then click Apps as shown in the below figure.
- Click View App Configurations.
- From the list of configured Apps, find the one that contains the EchoVideo editor button (the embed media button).
- On the right side of the app entry in the list, click the Settings icon then select Placements from the settings menu, as shown in the below figure.
If you are working from a sub-account, this may be an "i" or "info" icon; click it to see the current placements for this app.
What placements you see will determine your next steps.
If your Editor Button placement is the ONLY placement listed, as shown in the below figure, you can delete this app and install a new one.
Close the App Placements pop-up box then select Delete from the Settings menu (the settings menu is shown in the procedure above).
If your Editor Button placement is combined with others, as shown below, you must deactivate the Editor Button placement, and then install a new one.
Click the checkmark next to the Editor Button placement listed in the box. It turns into a red X.
If you are working at the sub-account level and can only VIEW the placements via the "info" button for the App, you can still deactivate the Editor Button at this level by clicking the checkmark for the placement.
Deactivating or deleting and then replacing the EchoVideo editor button app has NO effect on existing embedded media, as long as the new one uses the same LMS Configuration values from Echo360 as the original one did. Since you likely have only one LMS Configuration for Canvas in Echo360, simply reuse these values (Key and Secret) for your new, updated app.
Installing an Updated EchoVideo Editor Button App
The installation instructions for the updated editor button app are essentially the same as the original installation instructions. Be sure to follow the below instructions as written, to create an Editor Button ONLY app. This allows it to be removed and reinstalled in the future to provide updated functionality.
Installing the EchoVideo editor button app for embedding media
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
General settings appear and Basic Info is selected by default.
- From the left panel, select Integrations, as shown in the figure below.
- From the middle panel, select LMS / VLE, as shown in the figure below.
LTI 1.1 is selected by default.
- Find your existing Canvas LMS configuration.
If you do not have one yet, click Add Configuration then select Canvas from the drop-down list, and click Save. See also Configuring EchoVideo with your LMS.
- Select the XML Config tab, as shown in the figure below.
- Choose a Placement Type.
The XML you paste into Canvas can have ONE and ONLY ONE "course_navigation" placement block. Course navigation and My EchoVideo library placements both create "course_navigation" blocks in the XML.
- Enable ONLY the Content embed button slider.
- Click Copy XML.
The XML cartridge text is copied to your clipboard.
- In a new tab or window, log into Canvas as an administrator.
Leave the EchoVideo tab / window open, as you will need to return to the LMS configuration page to also copy the Key and Secret values from the LTI tab into Canvas.
- Click Admin from the left, and navigate to the Account (or sub-account) where you want to install the app (where the courses that will use it reside).
- From the left side of the screen, select Settings, then click Apps then click View App Configurations as shown in the figure earlier on this page.
- Click Apps from the top of the Settings page.
- Click + App to add a new app to your configuration.
- In the Configuration Type drop-down list at the top of the Add App dialog box, select Paste XML.
- Enter a Name for this tool. This can be anything you want but should identify this as the EchoVideo media embed toolbar button.
- Click into the XML Configuration section of the dialog box and press Ctrl + V or Command + V to paste the copied XML from EchoVideo.
- Optionally, scroll down into the XML you just pasted, and look for the "editor_button" section of the cartridge. There you should find an entry for "blti:title" as shown in the below figure.
- Change the text to Embed EchoVideo Media or something similar. This is the text that will be shown to users when they hover their mouse over the button in the content window toolbar. This is entirely optional.
- Go back to the EchoVideo window and click the LTI tab for the Canvas configuration if necessary, as shown below.
- Click the Copy to Clipboard button next to the Consumer Key value from EchoVideo, then paste it into the Consumer Key field in Canvas.
Click the Copy button to quickly copy the value. However, you can also click into the field, type Ctrl + A / Command + A to select all, then Ctrl + C / Command + C to copy; use Ctrl + V / Command + V to paste into Canvas.
- From the EchoVideo window, click the Copy to Clipboard button next to the Shared Secret value from EchoVideo and paste it into the Shared Secret field in Canvas. (See above Tip for copying.)
- Click Submit when finished.
- On the notification box that likely appears, click Yes Install this Tool. This is simply a notice that the tool URL to EchoVideo from the Canvas LMS Configuration is already being used in another existing tool.
You should now see your EchoVideo editor button / embed app in your Canvas app configuration list. If you already have a Course Navigation app, an EchoVideo Library app, and a Video Homework Submission app, those will also be listed.
Toggle the Add to RCE toolbar switch ON for the EchoVideo embed app you just installed, as indicated in the below figure. This adds the EchoVideo button to the content editor toolbar for users.
If you click Settings > Placements for the new app, it should show the Editor Button as the only placement.