EchoVideo provides the following different types of interoperability with Canvas;
- Course linking into EchoVideo sections
- A link to the user's EchoVideo Library
- An "easy" button to embed videos into content windows directly from the EchoVideo library,
- The ability for students to submit EchoVideo videos as homework assignments. Each of these can have its own EchoVideo App configured in Canvas, to provide the functionality needed.
Echo360 strongly recommends creating separate Apps in Canvas for EACH of the available features, because:
- The XML you paste into Canvas can have ONE AND ONLY ONE "course_navigation" block. The course linking and the library both create "course navigation" placements for the tools. Keeping the tools separate avoids any issues surrounding this limitation.
- You cannot edit or replace the XML for an existing app via the UI. This means that to update a combined tool for future improvements, or to delete a tool you do not want anymore, you need to delete the existing combined one and re-add it. If the tools are separate, this can be done without affecting any other functionality.
While you can add the EchoVideo App at the Course level, we STRONGLY RECOMMEND adding it at the Account level. Adding the app to the Account automatically makes it available for every course configured for the account. It can be removed from individual course navigation if necessary.
These procedures must be performed by a user who is both a Canvas and an EchoVideo Administrator. The first step is to log into EchoVideo as an Admin and generate XML for the Canvas LMS configuration that will identify the EchoVideo app for course navigation.
To generate an XML cartridge that will create an app for course navigation to EchoVideo
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
General settings appear and Basic Info is selected by default.
- From the left panel, select Integrations, as shown in the figure below.
- From the middle panel, select LMS / VLE, as shown in the figure below.
LTI 1.1 is selected by default.
- Find your existing Canvas LMS configuration.
If you do not have one yet, click Add Configuration then select Canvas from the drop-down list, and click Save. See also Configuring EchoVideo with your LMS.
- Select the XML Config tab, as shown in the below figure.
- Choose Course Navigation as a placement.
The XML you paste into Canvas can have ONE and ONLY ONE "course_navigation" placement block. Course navigation and My EchoVideo library placements both create "course_navigation" blocks in the XML.
- Toggle any additional options desired.
- Click Copy XML.
The XML cartridge text is copied to your clipboard.
- In a new tab or window, log into Canvas as an administrator and follow the procedure below.
Leave the EchoVideo tab / window open, as you will need to return to the LMS configuration page to copy the Key and Secret values from the LTI tab in Echo into Canvas.
To create an EchoVideo Course Navigation app in Canvas
- Log in to Canvas as an administrator.
- Click Admin from the navigation on the left, then select the main Account for your institution. In the figure below, the main account for Canvas is named EchoVideo.
- The Courses list appears by default. Select Settings from the bottom of the list of links on the left.
- From the Settings page, shown in the figure below, click the Apps tab.
- Click View App Configurations.
- From the External Apps page, click + App (the add app button), as shown in the figure below.
- In the Add App dialog box, select Paste XML from the Configuration Type drop-down list.
- Enter a Name for the App. You can name it anything you like but the name should clearly identify this as the External App tool to use to link to EchoVideo sections.
- Click into the XML Configuration section of the dialog box and press Ctrl + V or Command + V to paste the copied XML from EchoVideo.
- Go back to the EchoVideo window and click the LTI tab for the Canvas configuration if necessary, as shown below.
- Click the Copy to Clipboard button next to the Consumer Key value from EchoVideo, then paste it into the Consumer Key field in Canvas.
Click the Copy button to quickly copy the value. However, you can also click into the field, type Ctrl + A / Command + A to select all, then Ctrl + C / Command + C to copy; use Ctrl + V / Command + V to paste into Canvas.
- From the EchoVideo window, click the Copy to Clipboard button next to the Shared Secret value from EchoVideo and paste it into the Shared Secret field in Canvas. (See above Tip for copying.)
- Click Submit when finished.
You should now see your EchoVideo course navigation app in your Canvas app configuration list. The EchoVideo app will also appear in the left navigation for all courses in the account. Whether you leave this link as is, or remove it in favor of using Assignments page links into EchoVideo is up to you. But please review the information contained in Adding an EchoVideo Link to a Canvas Course as well as Linking LMS Courses to EchoVideo Sections.
If you click the Info button on the right side of the newly created EchoVideo app entry in the list and check Placements, the new app should show Course Navigation as the placement.