Updating your Canvas Apps: If you already have an Echo360 app (or placement) for embedding Echo360 media and need to update it, see Updating the Echo360 App in Canvas for Embedding Media. If you have not updated it since mid-December 2019, you are strongly encouraged to do so, to obtain significantly improved functionality.
The same type of Echo360 app you added to link Canvas Courses into Echo360 sections, can also be used to add an Echo360 embed button to content editor toolbars across courses. This allows instructors and students to embed Echo360 videos from their library directly into a Canvas content window for other course users to view.
The newest version of the Echo360 Editor Button App provides authentication for all users viewing embedded media, which allows Echo360 to provide detailed viewing data and unique viewer statistics for embedded media. It also provides the ability to embed interactive media (videos with embedded polling questions) into Canvas courses.
IMPORTANT: For Students to be able to use the embed button, you must enable the Student Library, allowing students to access a cache of Echo360 media to embed.
Installing the app involves generating an XML cartridge in Echo360, then pasting that, along with the Consumer Key and Secret from Echo360 into the Canvas App Configuration fields.
While you can add the Echo360 App at the Course level, we strongly recommend adding it at the Account (or sub-account) level. Adding the app to the account level automatically makes it available for every course configured for the account.
These procedures must be performed by the LMS/Echo360 administrator. Be sure to follow the below instructions as written, to create an Editor Button ONLY app. This allows it to be removed and reinstalled in the future to provide updated functionality.
Installing the Echo360 editor button app for embedding media
- Log into Echo360 as an Administrator.
- Select the Settings icon in upper-right of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Configurations.
The LMS configurations page should be showing by default.
- On the RIGHT side of the page, select the Configurations tab, as shown in the below figure.
- Find your Canvas LMS configuration.
- Select the LTI Config tab as shown in the below figure.
- Enable ONLY the Content embed button slider.
- Click SAVE.
YOU MUST CLICK SAVE to generate the updated XML for use in Canvas.
- Click the XML tab, located to the right of the LTI Config tab and identified in the below figure.
- Click COPY XML. The XML cartridge is copied to your system clipboard for pasting into Canvas or an intermediary page or location if you prefer.
- In a new tab or window, log into Canvas as an administrator.
Leave the Echo360 tab/window open, as you will need to return to the LMS configuration page to also copy the Key and Secret values from the LTI tab into Canvas.
- Click Admin from the left, and navigate to the Account (or sub-account) where you want to install the app (where the courses that will use it reside).
- From the list of options on the left, click Settings, then click Apps as shown in the below figure.
- Click View App Configurations.
- Click + App to add a new app to your configuration.
- In the Configuration Type drop-down list at the top of the Add App dialog box, select Paste XML as shown in the below figure
- Enter a Name for this tool. This can be anything you want but should clearly identify this as the Echo360 media embed toolbar button. The name you give is what will appear in the View App Configurations list in Canvas
- Click into the XML Configuration section of the dialog box and press Ctrl+V or Command+V to paste the copied XML from Echo360.
- OPTIONAL: Scroll down into the XML you just pasted, and look for the "editor_button" section of the cartridge. There you should find an entry for "blti:title" as shown in the below figure.
- Change the text to Embed Echo360 Media or something similar. This is the text that will be shown to users when they hover their mouse over the button in the content window toolbar. This is entirely optional.
- Go back to the Echo360 window and click the LTI tab for the Canvas configuration.
- Copy the Consumer Key value from Echo360, then paste it into the Consumer Key field in Canvas.
Copy the Shared Secret value from Echo360, then paste it into the Shared Secret field in Canvas.
(Tip: Click into the field, type Ctrl+A/Command+A to select all, then Ctrl+C/Command+C to copy; use Ctrl+V/Command+V to paste into Canvas.)
- When finished, click Submit.
- On the notification box that likely appears, click Yes Install this Tool. This is simply a notice that the tool URL to Echo360 from the Canvas LMS Configuration is already being used in another existing tool.
You should now see your Echo360 editor button/embed app in your Canvas app configuration list. If you already have a Course Navigation app or others, those will also be listed.
Toggle the Add to RCE toolbar switch ON for the Echo360 embed app you just installed, as indicated in the below figure. This adds the Echo360 button to the content editor toolbar for users.
If you click Settings > Placements for the new app, it should show Editor Button as the only placement.