Who can do this?
A Brightspace administrator can do this for all courses, or an Instructor can do this for their own courses.
In order for students to access the EchoVideo content for a course, an Activity link to the EchoVideo external tool must be added to each course.
This is potentially the most complicated part of the process, because there are several different ways to go about it, depending on whether it is the Admin or the Instructor who executes it, whether the link will be to the main section home (the class list) or to individual classes, whether the instructor is exporting EchoVideo analytic data into their Brightspace course gradebook, and finally, whether the EchoVideo sections already exist for linking or are created as a process of linking through from Brightspace.
The steps below provide instructions for creating a link to the EchoVideo external tool in your Brightspace course and linking to an existing Echo3Video section, including steps for enabling gradebook exports to Brightspace from EchoVideo.
To link a Brightspace course to an EchoVideo section
- Navigate to a Brightspace course and add a Module to the course content.
- Add an Existing Activity to the module then select External Learning Tools.
- From the list of Tool Providers, select the EchoVideo tool configured for your Brightspace instance.
- The new link automatically appears in the module you created. Click the link to launch the EchoVideo linking process.
EchoVideo appears in the Brightspace module frame, as shown below.
- Use the drop-down boxes to select a Term, Course, and Section in EchoVideo to link this Brightspace course to, as shown below.
NOTE that you may only see a Section drop-down list if your administrator has limited your selection options to only those EchoVideo sections in which you are already enrolled.
If an Admin performs this step, that user is then enrolled in the EchoVideo section as an Instructor; you may wish to unenroll yourself from these sections later.
- The Link to the Section Home option is selected by default. This directs users to the main class list of the identified section. See Linking an LMS course to an EchoVideo Classroom if you want to create multiple links to different classes in the section. The process is the same as appears here, but you will need to repeat it for each class you want to link.
- Click CONNECT.
- Scroll to the bottom of the frame where the EchoVideo section appears and add an Assessment entry for the EchoVideo link. This adds a column in the Gradebook to receive exported EchoVideo student engagement analytics.
- Return to the Course content page with the linked module, and select Edit Properties In-place for the new EchoVideo link.
- Check the Open as External Resource checkbox. This allows EchoVideo to open in a new tab, providing more viewing space for classes and the media contained therein.
As stated above, instructors may choose to create multiple module / links and link to individual classes within an EchoVideo section. Alternately, instructors or admins can create the EchoVideo course and / or section through the tool interface, instead of linking to an existing EchoVideo section. Note that the user who creates the section this way is automatically assigned as an instructor to the course.
When a student passes through the link from Brightspace into EchoVideo, they are automatically enrolled into the section as a student. If the student is not yet an EchoVideo user, their EchoVideo account is automatically created when they pass into EchoVideo.
Brightspace course instructors are automatically enrolled into the EchoVideo section as Instructors, if they are not already enrolled. Instructors may also have their EchoVideo account created if it does not already exist when they pass into EchoVideo from Brightspace. See also Disabling Automatic Instructor Creation (for LMS users) if this is not appropriate for your institution.
Brightspace Admins who pass into an EchoVideo section this way are also enrolled as Instructors into the EchoVideo course. See LMS to EchoVideo User Role Mappings for additional details.