Who can do this?
This can be done by a Moodle Administrator who is also an EchoVideo Administrator. The Moodle Administrator MUST have write permissions on the plugins directory on the Moodle server (
/var/www/html/moodle/lib/editor/atto/plugins). Otherwise, the installation will fail.
Download, extract, and install the EchoVideo TinyMCE plugin for your Moodle 4.1 or higher instance. This plugin allows instructors or administrators to easily embed EchoVideo media directly into content windows in Moodle.
For instructions on installing and configuring the Atto plugin for previous versions of Moodle, see EchoVideo: Upgrading the EchoVideo Atto Plugin in Moodle for Embedding Media.
Download and Install the Plugin in Moodle
- Log into EchoVideo as an Administrator and navigate to the Downloads page as shown in the figure below.
- Scroll down to the Moodle plugin entry to click the Download link for the Moodle TinyMCE Plugin, and save the .zip file to your local drive.
The Downloaded .zip file contains two additional .zip files and a README within it. These are shown in the figure in the following step.
EXTRACT the contents of the downloaded .zip file, and SAVE the two enclosed .zip files, one for the plugin and one for the filter, to a known location. Leave the extracted .zip files as they are. DO NOT extract the files from these sub-zip files. Moodle will do that for you.
- Log into Moodle as an Admin and click Site Administration.
- Navigate to Plugins and select Install Plugins.
- Click Choose a file and find the
tiny_echo360-###.zipfile extracted from the download.
You MUST install the tiny plugin before installing the filter.
- When the zip file has been uploaded, click Install plugin from the ZIP file.
- Verify that the validation step shows no errors, and click Continue.
If the installation fails, check any errors listed in the Validation log shown; you MUST have write permissions on the Plugins directory on the Moodle server. If the error indicates that you do not have these permissions, contact your System Administrator or another Moodle Administrator to obtain these permissions.
- Verify that the Server checks page shows no errors, and click Continue.
If the Server checks page fails and does not meet all minimum system requirements, contact your System Administrator or another Moodle Administrator to obtain these permissions.
- On the Plugins check page, click Upgrade Moodle database now.
- On the Upgrading to new version screen, click Continue.
The New settings - Echo360 Plugin (Tiny) Settings window opens.
- Open a new tab or browser window, and log into EchoVideo as an Administrator.
- Select the Settings icon in the upper-right of the screen, then select Institution Settings > Integration > LMS / VLE.
The LTI 1.1 configurations page appears by default.
- Find your existing Moodle LMS configuration.
- Copy the Consumer Key, Shared Secret, and Host URL values from EchoVideo into the EchoVideo Echo360 Plugin (Tiny) plugin settings in Moodle.
In EchoVideo, use the Copy button to copy the entire value for each field. In Moodle, place your cursor in the field and press
Vto paste the value.
- Click Save Changes.
REPEAT the above installation steps but instead select the
The most common cause of failure to install the filter is due to a dependency the filter has on the tiny plugin; you MUST install the
tiny_echo360plug-in BEFORE trying to install the filter.
- In the Plugins check page for the Filter, click Upgrade Moodle database now.
- When the success message appears, click Continue.
- Navigate to Site Administration / Plugins / Filters / Manage Filters.
- Find the EchoVideo LTI Launch Filter and ensure that it is turned ON and that it is set to apply to Content, as shown below.
You MAY need to increase the priority of the EchoVideo filter in the list in order to embed videos in Moodle Labels.
Your EchoVideo plugin is now installed and provides all the available functionality, including authenticating all users for viewing embedding media, providing access to interactive media for embedding, and tracking viewing analytics for all embeds.