Printer and ExamView’s Scanning Feature
ExamView’s plain-paper scanning (PC) allows you to print bubble forms using an ordinary laser printer, pre-print assignment and student information on the forms, and scan the results using a TWAIN-compliant image scanner. Because forms can be printed on-demand on standard sheets of paper, plain-paper scanning provides great flexibility, convenience, and cost savings over dedicated OMR scanning. Additionally, the hardware required for plain-paper scanning can be used for other purposes.
Plain-paper scanning reads the students’ responses for each question, stores this information for each student, and automatically calculates their score based on the point values assigned to the questions.
Please ensure that you have installed the printer manufacturer’s TWAIN driver.
ExamView’s Plain Paper Scanning Form Requirements
- The bubble sheets must be printed from within ExamView v11. ExamView reads the bar code info on the bottom of the bubble sheet and cannot read a picture of the plain paper bubble sheets.
- Forms must be printed on letter sized (8.5” x 11”) white paper at 100% scale, in portrait orientation only. Plain-paper scanning does not support forms printed on other paper sizes, colored paper, or forms that have been scaled or printed in landscape orientation.
Critical Note: Verify that your printer is set to Letter size (8.5 x 11). If another size is selected, the bubble form will not print at 100% scale and ExamView Test Manager will not read the form.
- The printer must be set to scan one-sided sheets. ExamView does not scan blank pages.
- Each bubble sheet must include the (1) student ID and (2) the answers.
Critical Note: The student id must match the ID assigned to the student in the corresponding ExamView Test Manager class file.
- The teacher must scan the student-completed bubble sheets – not an image of the bubble sheets.
Because many manufacturers provide printers/scanners, Echo360 cannot test all of them with ExamView’s scanning feature. The primary requirements are listed above.