Sorting Questions in a Test/Question Bank
In addition to reordering questions in a test/question bank, you can sort the questions based on various criteria provided that Allow for question types to be mixed is enabled. This feature is useful for quickly adding another layer of organization to your test/question bank. For example, questions can be sorted to present the questions in order of increasing difficulty level or to group questions by state standard.
In order to utilize this sorting feature, questions must contain descriptive meta-data information.
- Click Reorder Questions from the picture toolbar or click Question from the menu bar and select Reorder.
- Click Sort.
If a Sort button is NOT visible, click Cancel.
- Click Edit from the menu bar and select Preferences, click the Layout icon and then click the Question Types tab. Select Allow for mixed question types.
Sorting is only allowed if at least some of the questions contain information that can serve as sorting criteria.
- Select the criteria to use as the basis for the sorting action from the Sort by drop-down menu.
- The Sort by list can sort by any of the question information fields, such as Difficulty, Reference, Learning Objective, State Standard, Topic, Keywords and Miscellaneous.
- The Sort by list will only contain entries for question information fields that contain at least one entry for the questions being sorted.
- Sorting treats the entire entry of a question information field as a single entity, even if it contains multiple entries separated by an item delimiter character.
If a question contains two keywords stored as "energy | heat", the category would appear exactly as shown rather than as separate entries for "energy" and "heat." Further, if another question contains just the keyword "energy", it would not be recognized as being a subset of the previous question with multiple entries.
- A preview of all the entries for the sort criteria is displayed in the area below the drop-down menu. Drag an entry up or down to reorder the list to the desired sort sequence.
- Entries are always initially shown in alphabetical order, not by the order that they appear in the current question order.
- Changing the sort criteria or closing the Sort Questions window resets the order of the entries to the initial alphabetical sequence.
- Click OK to apply the sort order to the questions.
The question order displayed in the Reorder Questions window will now reflect the sorting order.