Who can do this? A Sakai Admin can do this for all sites, or an Instructor or non-managing Teacher can do this for their own sites. If the Administrator configured the External Tool in Stealthed Mode, an Administrator must be the one to add the tool link to the course site.
In order for students to access the EchoVideo content for a course, a link to the EchoVideo external tool must be added to each course site.
The instructions below are provided as a guide for adding an External Tool link to sites in Sakai. PLEASE use these only as a general guide and refer to your Sakai Documentation for detailed instructions. The below steps were performed using Sakai 11.
To add the EchoVideo LTI tool link to a site
- Log in to Sakai and navigate to a site.
- Select Site Info from the left navigation.
- Select Manage Tools from the options across the top, as shown in the below figure.
- From the Checkbox list on the Course Tools page, select External Tool.
OPTIONALLY, if you scroll to the bottom, and the EchoVideo External Tool is shown there, you can simply select the tool from there to add it to your course Site. However, you will not have the option of renaming the tool, if you want to do so, to customize it for your site.
- Scroll to the bottom and select Continue.
- In the Customize tool instances page, enter the Title you want to be shown for the link to EchoVideo, then click Continue.
- On the confirmation page, check that the changes you have made to the tool list for your site are correct, then click Confirm.
When the Site Info page appears, the new External Link to EchoVideo appears in the Tool List for the site, as shown below.
- IF DESIRED, click Tool Order from the options across the top of the Site Info page, to move the new EchoVideo Link to a different location in the list.
Reordering tools is an optional step.
- In the Tool Order page, drag and drop the tools to the location you want them to appear for users in your site.
- When finished, click Finish.
The Site Tools list on the left side of your site now appears in the order in which you placed them.
The Next Step is to MAP the EchoVideo Tool Link to the proper EchoVideo Section. This can also typically be done by either an Administrator or an Instructor.
Linking the Sakai Site to the EchoVideo Section
The below instructions are a brief overview of the linking process. If you need more detail, see Linking LMS Courses to EchoVideo Sections or Linking LMS Courses to Individual Classes/Classrooms.
To Map the EchoVideo link from your Sakai section to an EchoVideo section:
- Click on the EchoVideo link you just added to the course site.
- Use the drop-down lists on the window that appears to find the course, term, and section to link to.
NOTE: If limited by your administrator, you may have only a Section drop-down list to select from. This list shows all EchoVideo sections in which you are enrolled as an Instructor.
- The Section Home radio button is selected by default. Click Connect.
If you want to link directly to a particular class, follow the instructions in Linking LMS Course to Echo Classrooms. Understand that to link to both sections and individual classrooms, you will likely need to add multiple External Tool links to your Sakai site.
Your Sakai Site is now linked to the EchoVideo section. Users can click the link from your Site and be directed to the Class List for the EchoVideo Section.