To use Sakai with EchoVideo's active learning platform, you need to configure EchoVideo as an external tool in Sakai, then link that tool to each course site where the classroom media/content will be delivered through EchoVideo.
What Sakai version are you using? The instructions provided here assume you are using Sakai 10.4 or higher, which supports the addition of EchoVideo as an LTI Tool in Sakai on the Administration Workspace level. If you are using an earlier version of Sakai, you may need to add the tool at the Site level. However the basic options, settings, and process information included here still applies.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN: You will want to determine if your EchoVideo Courses and Sections will be created separately in EchoVideo and then linked to through the LMS, OR if you want to enable the simplified One-Click Provisioning feature for your institution. The One-Click course provisioning auto-creates the course and section in EchoVideo from the LMS link, using the same course code and name as the LMS. This is designed to accommodate institutions who want to limit administrative involvement in EchoVideo management, and use EchoVideo primarily as a content management solution for instructor class materials. You can still create capture schedules for the sections, to record and publish lectures, or allow instructors to generate ad hoc captures for their sections, if lecture capture is part of your institution's workflow. Beyond the one-click course provisioning feature, all other LMS integration steps remain essentially the same and are described below.
Workflow for configuring Sakai to provide EchoVideo content
- Enable the Sakai LTI configuration in EchoVideo.
This generates the Key, Secret, and Host URL fields needed to set up the External Tool in Sakai.
- Adding EchoVideo to Sakai as an External LTI Tool.
- Adding EchoVideo Link to Sakai course site.
This step can be done by the Admin or the Instructor.
- Adding an EchoVideo Embed Button to Sakai content windows.
This provides an "easy embed" button for instructors and students to embed videos from their EchoVideo library directly into Sakai content pages for viewing.
- Click the link to EchoVideo and select the EchoVideo Section to show to users through this Sakai site page.
- If appropriate for your institution, Instructors may also choose to create multiple assessment links and link to individual classes within an EchoVideo section.
Alternately, instructors or admins can create the EchoVideo course and/or section through the tool interface. Whoever creates the section this way is automatically assigned as an instructor to the course.
- Users who log into Sakai and click the EchoVideo tool link are automatically passed through to the EchoVideo section's class list, and automatically enrolled in the class with the corresponding user role.
NOTE: The procedures in these topics are provided as guidelines to the Sakai LTI Tool setup process. Refer to the Sakai documentation for additional details, or contact Sakai product support if you need further assistance.