If you have installed and configured the building block, the Echo360 Video Library option under Mashups will be visible for both Instructors and Students to embed videos from their Echo360 library directly into a Blackboard content window. However, Blackboard's default policy configuration strips many URLs from being able to be embedded by students. If you want the Echo Video Library option to work for students and not strip the Echo360 URL from the embed (making the embed non-functional) you must add the Echo360 URL to the default policy XML file for iframes (also referred to as "white-listing" the Echo360 site).
White-listing the Echo360 URLs to the iframe list allows Students to embed videos they own in Content windows. REMEMBER that in order for students to embed videos, the Student Library must be enabled, and the Student toggle for Embeddable and Public Links must also be enabled for the institution.
If you have the current Building Block installed, you do not need to reinstall it to enable embeds for Students. The below procedure for white-listing Echo360 should be sufficient.
The following procedure must be performed by a Blackboard Administrator. As with all Blackboard Instructions provided in the Echo360 documentation, the procedure below is intended as a guide and may differ depending on the version you are using. If you need further assistance, please refer to the Blackboard documentation.
To add the Echo360 URL into the default policy "white list" for iframes in Blackboard
- Log into Blackboard as an administrator and open the Admin panel.
- In the Security block, select Safe HTML Filters.
- In the Safe HTML Filters page, select Safe HTML filter for Content Editor.
- Download the existing default-policy.xml shown on the page.
- Open the XML in a text editor or XML editing program.
- Search for iframe in the XML document.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list of permitted URLs (identified in the above figure) and add an entry for Echo360 as follows, replacing echo360.org with your regional URL if it differs (echo360.org.au, echo360.org.uk, echo360.ca):
<regexp value="http[s]?://echo360.org/.*" />
- Save the edited XML file.
- Return to the Blackboard screen where the default-policy.xml file is listed, and click Upload.
- Select the edited XML file and upload it to Blackboard. The new file will not overwrite the original; you will see multiple default-policy.xml files in the list.
- SUGGESTED: Provide a description with the newly uploaded file that identifies the difference between the edited file and the original. An example description is shown in the below figure.
- Click the menu arrow for the newly uploaded xml file and select Activate.
Once Activated, the updated XML file is the new policy applied to the content editor window. White-listing the Echo360 URLs to the iframe list allows Students to embed videos they own in Content windows. REMEMBER that in order for students to embed videos, the Student Library must be enabled, and the Student toggle for Embeddable and Public Links must also be enabled for the institution.