Echo360 provides an Atto plugin that can be downloaded from Echo360 and installed and configured on your Moodle instance. If you have upgraded to the newest version of the plugin, the Echo360 Embed button will be visible for both Instructors and Students to embed videos from their Echo360 library directly into a Moodle content window. However, it won't be usable unless you Enable trusted content under Moodle Site Policy settings, and set the Student role to allow trusted content. This page provides instructions for enabling these settings.
The changes on the Moodle side effectively give Students the authority to pass URLs through to content windows. This change is required or the embedded videos will be stripped when the student submits the page or post. The change is to enable Trusted Sites in Moodle, and then to Allow the Student role (or whatever your student role is in Moodle, if you use custom roles) to use Trusted Sites.
These procedures must be performed by the Moodle administrator. The steps below are provided as a guide; please refer to the Moodle documentation for further details if necessary.
To configure Moodle to allow students to embed Echo360 videos into content windows
- Log into Moodle as an administrator
- Select Site Administration.
- Scroll down to Security and select Site policies.
- On the Site Policies page, scroll down to find the Enable Trusted Content entry (or Ctrl+F and search "trust").
- Click a check into the box (it is off by default). This tells Moodle to NOT strip content entries of things like HTML and URL entries.
- Return to the Site Administration home and click Users.
- In the Permissions section of the Users page, select Define Roles.
- In the roles listed, find the Student entry (or the custom role you use for students if this applies).
NOTE: If you use multiple roles for Student users and want to make the embed capability work for all of them, repeat the next steps for each of those roles.
- Click the Edit option for the Student role. It looks like a gear.
- In the Student Role editing page, scroll to find the Trust submitted content entry (or Ctrl+F to search for "trust").
- Enable the Allow checkbox.
There! You're finished. If you upgraded the Moodle Plugin, Students should now be able to see the Embed button in content windows, and should be able to embed videos from their Echo360 library. Again, be sure the Student Library toggle is on in Echo360 as well as the Public Links toggle for Students.