Exporting and viewing Echo360 analytics in an LMS Gradebook is fairly straightforward. The trick is knowing what you're seeing once the data is sent.
Before going further, you need to know the following about how LMS Gradebooks, and LTI links work:
- LTI links to Echo360 need to be placed in a location in the LMS that recognizes the link as a "gradeable" object. The "Add Echo360 Link to Course" instructions for each LMS are clear about how to create and where to put the link (i.e., Assessment-type link for Blackboard; Assignments for Canvas; etc.).
- Students MUST enter Echo360 using the LTI links to Echo360 at least once. This establishes the relationship in Echo360 between the student, the LMS course and the Echo360 course.
- Each "gradeable" LTI link generates a corresponding column in the LMS gradebook. THIS MEANS if you create a single link to the Section Home (class list), you will get ONE column in the gradebook. If you create links directly to the classes in the section, you will get a column in the gradebook for each link (you may need to scroll right or re-order the columns to see them).
This also means that if you create an LTI link but then delete it, in some LMS' the column remains; you may need to manually delete these unused columns.
- Every time you export an Echo360 metric to the gradebook, the previous value in the associated column is overwritten.
If these restrictions are a problem, know that Echo360 logs and maintains all student interaction data in our UI, regardless of how they got there, and you can reference it any time. You can also download class-specific detailed metrics to a CSV file, and use that data to populate your gradebook if necessary.
To send Echo360 analytics to your LMS Gradebook
- Log into the LMS as an instructor and navigate to the Echo360 link. If you have multiple links (such as to classes in a section) it makes no difference which you choose.
- Navigate to the Analytics tab in Echo360.
- Click Export & Gradebook from the left side of the Analytics tab.
In the bottom section of the Export page, each link from the LMS into Echo360 is listed. If you link only to the section home (class list) there is only one item listed. If you have multiple links directly to classes, each of those also appears, as shown in the below figure.
- For any given link, use the drop-down list to select the metric you want to send. You can select only one for each link.
- Click the Export icon (it looks like an arrow) located on the right side of the link row.
The pencil or Edit icon allows you to change where the LTI link points - allowing you to select a different class to show to users who click that LMS link, if necessary.
- Click Export on the warning message that appears. This simply reminds you that when you export to the gradebook, you overwrite any Echo360 data currently residing in that column of the gradebook.
- If you are exporting from a link to the Section Home, another dialog box appears, allowing you to select which classes' data you want to aggregate. Use the checkboxes to identify the appropriate classes. Click the checkbox at the top of the list to Select/Unselect all the classes.
- Click Export.
You should now be able to return to the LMS (it should be open in the original browser tab) and navigate to the LMS gradebook page and see the exported values. The exported data appears in the columns associated with the link you selected to export. The value in this column is the value for the metric you selected to send.
See Defining Exported Gradebook Analytic Data for details on how these numbers are calculated.