Prerequisites for using the Echo360 Embed button:
1) A Canvas Administrator must have installed and enabled the Echo360 Embed button for your Canvas instance.
2) The public links option must be turned on, so that you have the authority to generate a public link for embedding.
3) You must have content YOU OWN in your Content Home/Library (or you must be an Echo360 Admin). Only content owners (or Admins) can embed videos in an LMS content window.
If a Canvas Admin has enabled it for your institution, Echo360 provides a content embed button that appears in the toolbar of a content window. This button allows you to select a video and embed it directly into the window.
This can be done anywhere Canvas provides a content window for posting items (e.g., Assignments or Pages).
If embedding a video in the Assignments page, be sure you do not select the Echo360 External Tool link as the submission type; this will generate a different kind of link and ask the admin/instructor to link the Echo section.
Instructors and Students can select any video they own from their Content Home page. Once inserted, the video appears in the content window and users can play the video directly in the page. Canvas Administrators who are also Echo360 Administrators can select any capture in the system they have access to.
Embedded videos DO NOT generate Echo360 analytic information for which students have viewed the video or how much of it. Canvas analytics may be able to provide some of that data however. Check with your Canvas administrator if you are not sure.
To embed an Echo360 video into a content window
- Log in to Canvas as an instructor OR an administrator.
- Open the Course in Canvas for the course you want to post the video to.
- Click the location on the left where you want to post the item (e.g., Assignments or Pages or response to a Discussion post; wherever you get a content window as shown in the above figure).
- Select to add one of the item type (+Page or +Assignment, etc.)
- Give the item a Name that identifies either the video you are posting or the purpose for posting it (extra credit, ancillary research, etc.).
- Directly above the main portion of the content window, click the Echo360 icon, as indicated in the above figure.
A dialog box appears listing the videos you own, or for admins, the videos you have access to.
- If necessary, use the Search text box and/or Filter by drop-down lists to find the video you want to embed into the window.
- Click Reset to clear any search/filters as needed.
- Select the video you want to embed.
The row expands to show additional embedding options.
- From the Select size drop-down list, select the size you want for the embedded video. There are three size options, along with Link, as shown in the below figure.
The Link option does not embed the video in the window but instead enters a URL (also sometimes called a public link) for the video that when clicked opens in a new browser tab. The link posted uses the Video title as the text for the link; it does not post the full URL.
- After selecting a size, you have the option to Autoplay the video (it will play as soon as a user opens the page you are embedding it into).
- If you enable Autoplay, you then have the option to Automute (the video will play on entry but with no sound).
- If appropriate, set a Start At time. If set, the video will begin playing at that timestamp, although users will be able to rewind/scrub the player to view any segment of the embedded video.
- When finished, click INSERT.
A preview of the inserted video appears inside the content area, as shown in the below figure.
- Complete whatever remaining fields are on the item you are adding, then click Save or Save & Publish as appropriate.
Once the item is published, users can access the item and view the embedded video. If you selected Autoplay or Start At configurations for the video, those are enacted for the viewer.