Some institutions do not want to allow users, students, in particular, to download class-published content. The Download capability is enabled for all institutions by default but can be disabled at the section level by an Instructor, or across the institution, organization, or department by an Administrator.
Once disabled, users will not see the Download/Download original menu options for content on the Class List page. Content owners can always download content they own.
If Class Content downloads are enabled, you have the option to limit class downloads to ONLY the audio feed of any given file. Enabling Audio-only downloads for class content prohibits any visual content downloads, and therefore has the following effects:
- Selecting Download/Download original from the video icon in the class list provides only the mp3 file selection for download
- Presentations will not be downloadable, as they do not have separate audio files.
These selections do not affect what items a user can download from their Library (content they own). As such, you may want to review your Create Copy settings for both Instructors and Students, to be sure users cannot bypass video download limitations by creating their own copy of class published content. Users can still download any content that appears in the My Content tab of the Echo360 Home page.
To disable downloads of class-published content across the institution
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- Navigate to the organization or department you want to set the default for or remain on the Institution in the left panel.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Features.
- Under Features, disable the Content downloads toggle switch (it is enabled by default).
- Check or uncheck the Allow override checkbox to determine whether this toggle setting can be changed at any of the lower levels.
- Click Yes on the confirmation message that appears.
Download functionality is now disabled for classes. This has no effect on content residing in the Library page.
NOTE: If disabled at the institution/organization/department level (and overrides are not allowed), instructors can still see the download toggle on the section Settings page, but it is dimmed, meaning they cannot change the setting.