The instructions below will add Echo360 as an external LTI tool in Moodle at the organizational or institutional level. This makes the tool available for any courses configured for the institution.
These procedures must be performed by the LMS administrator.
BEST PRACTICE: Selecting and copying the values between Echo360 and the LMS can be difficult, and can be prone to selection errors. To select the full value of an LMS field, do the following:
1) Use your mouse to select a portion of the field values.
2) Press Ctrl+A / Command+A to "select all" of the field.
3) Press Ctrl+C / Command + C to copy the selected value.
4) Paste the value into the corresponding field in the LMS LTI External Tool configuration.
To create the External LTI Tool in Moodle
- Log into Moodle as an administrator.
- From the Settings menu, select Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules.
- Under Activity Modules you may select either LTI > Manage external tool types or External Tool configuration, depending on the version of Moodle you are using.
The below figure highlights the left-navigation selections, as well as the selection breadcrumbs across the top of the screen, to help you find the location in the Moodle interface. Refer to your Moodle documentation for further assistance if needed.
- On the External Tool Types page, click Add external tool configuration, located above the list of any already configured tool types.
The External Tool configuration page appears.
- Enter a Tool Name that clearly identifies this as the Echo360 tool you are configuring.
- Copy the following fields from the Moodle LTI Profile in Echo360 into the corresponding fields on the External Tool Configuration form:
- Tool Base URL > Host URL
- Consumer Key > Consumer Key
- Shared Secret > Shared Secret
- Enable the Show tool type when creating tool instances checkbox.
This is required for the Echo360 tool to appear in the External tool type list, when linking the tool to a course.
- For Default launch container, select New window. This sets the launch default for all links created on courses to this External tool, instructing Echo360 to open in a new browser tab/window.
This is strongly recommended to accommodate Safari users in particular, as Safari has demonstrated problems when displaying Echo360 content within a frame. It also provides more screen area for users to view and navigate through Echo360 classroom content and functionality.
- Expand the Privacy section of the page.
- Select Always for all three of the Privacy settings.
- The Share launcher's name and email settings allow Echo360 to properly identify and seamlessly pass users through to their sections.
- The Accept grades from tool setting allows instructors to export Echo360 analytics to the Moodle gradebook if they want to.
- Click Save changes.