Classes are the logical sub-divisions of course sections. Classes act as containers for the learning materials presented to students, such as classroom captures and uploaded presentations, as well as discussions or Q&A sessions about the class.
Groups are groups of Classes, designed to allow Instructors to group lectures with similar subject matter together, or to group several pieces of media (contained in classes) together that pertain to a single topic.
Classes are created in the following ways:
- When the Administrator creates a capture (recurring or otherwise) to be published to a section.
- When an Instructor manually creates a class.
- When media is published to a section (you can publish to an existing class or create a new one to hold the item being published).
- When an ad hoc capture is generated for the section.
Groups are manually created by the Instructor, who can then move existing classes into the group.
As the Instructor for a section, you can control many aspects of the classes and groups for the section, including:
- Adding a Class to a Course
- Adding a Group to a Course
- Editing Class/Group Details
- Deleting a Class or Group
See Understanding the Class List for information on navigating through the Class List page for a course.
See also the help articles located in Managing Media in Classes for information on controlling the content published to classes and student access to it.
Note about duplicate class dates/times: Echo360 allows you to create one class that duplicates an existing class date/time - typically one manually created class that duplicates a capture schedule-created class. If you try to create a second duplicate, one of the original classes may disappear from the class list. If this happens, edit the class details to offset the start time by at least one minute. The original class (including any content) will reappear.