These Release Notes contain a summary of changes made for the August 13-14, 2019 release of Echo360. For changes made in previous deployments, see the other Release Notes articles located in this Topic group, or contact email@example.com.
2-Week Reminder: End of Life for Classroom & Personal Capture
As you probably know by now, Echo360 Universal Capture is in general availability for both Mac and Windows, and for Personal and Classroom modes. Universal Capture replaces the existing applications Classroom Capture (CCAP) and Personal Capture (PCAP) for a better and easier capture experience. We are seeing excellent adoption rates for Universal Capture, so it is time to plan for the end of support for the legacy applications.
As was reported in the Release Notes for the 2 July 2019 Deployments, we plan to phase out both technical support and functional support in the platform over the following timeline:
- August 30th, 2019: The download links for both CCAP and PCAP will be removed from the platform. This is also the end of support date for these applications in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA). While the applications will likely continue to work for the rest of the year, there will be no support available.
Clients in the EMEA region should plan a full transition to Universal Capture before this time. Clients in other regions can continue to use existing CCAP and PCAP installations but will no longer have the ability to download it.
- January 15th, 2020: This date marks both the end of life and the end of support for these applications globally. As of this date, CCAP and PCAP will cease to work with the Echo360 platform due to enhancements in the capture pipeline that will only work with Universal Capture.
It is of the utmost importance that all Echo360 clients complete their transition to Universal Capture by this time.
If you have any questions about your transition to Universal Capture, please contact your Echo360 representative and see our Universal Capture documentation.
Teaching Assistant Role is available! Echo360 now provides a Teaching Assistant role, to act as "assistant section manager" for Instructors. The privileges and capabilities given to TAs are similar to Instructors, with some limitations, specifically around a TAs inability to see student-identifiable data and analytics in a section.
- Administrators should review the new Teaching Assistants section of the User Roles, Capabilities and Limitations article.
- Instructors should review the new Teaching Assistants - Capabilities and Limitations article.
The Echo360 Easy Embed button for Sakai is here! Echo360 has developed a new plug-in available for Sakai, that allows users to easily embed videos into Content windows in Sakai. As with all of our "easy embed" functionality, a Sakai Administrator must install the new plugin and configure it for use by Echo360 users.
For more information and installation instructions, see Adding an Echo360 Embed option to Sakai Content Windows.
- Student Analytics are now updated more frequently. The student engagement data on the Analytics tab in Sections is now updated at least hourly (instead of once daily). Student interactions with class media and with the section as a whole are provided throughout the day, allowing Instructors to view data with closer to real-time status.
- Improved Live stream synchronization on startup. When first loading a live stream you should no longer see any loading dots. However, within the first 10 seconds, the stream may automatically jump ahead up to 3 times to make sure you are caught up to real-time events.
- Device Software Update (Pro/Pod/UC): Version 6.0.665390952
The version number of the updated capture device software will be added prior to the AU/ANZ production region deployment.
NOTE: The Device Software Update entry is only included when an update is being deployed; the legacy software version is NOT likely to change often, and it is not included if there are no updates being deployed.
- Resolved an issue where users were unable to remove media from their Shared with me tab.
- Updated the Blackboard Building Block for Echo360 embeds to address an issue when adding a video's link to the content window instead of embedding the video.
- Resolved an issue with uploading files to the Library with certain special characters in the title.
- Classroom tools (Notes and Questions) can now accurately reference slide content for Live streams.
- Resolved an issue where some Live streams did not contain audio. Released as a hotfix.
- Resolved an issue where, when viewing a Live stream, hiding the individual video source that contains audio track muted audio. This also resolved the problem where audio would not play for an audio-only Live stream.
- Resolved an issue where very short captures could fail to process.
- Resolved an issue where selected inputs were not being reported accurately when editing a schedule. This only happened in the case that the device assigned to the Room/Schedule was unknown (had never been online before) at the time the schedule was created, but then later came online.
- Resolved an issue with the Capture Details overlay not being rendered correctly in Universal Capture: Classroom or Personal when using a Mac with a retina display.
- Removed the timer/progress bar from the Preview mode of Universal Capture.
- Resolved the last of the known issues for IP Camera support.