Brightspace allows you to create Remote Plugins that allow users to easily insert media (Insert Stuff, the button identified in the below figure) into content windows. Echo360 provides an easy method for users to simply get a list of embeddable media from their content library, select it, and embed it directly into Brightspace content windows. Admins choosing to embed from Echo360 will get a list of all captures they have access to.
The same configuration values used to create the Echo360 External Learning Tool Provider in BrightSpace will also be used to create the Remote Plugin for Echo360. The ONLY difference between the External Tool setup and the Remote Plugin setup is that the URL you copy/paste from Echo360 into the plugin configuration MUST be appended with /launch/library. This ensures that the plugin launches the content list from a user's library and lists the embeddable video content contained there.
After creating the Plugin, you should also add the Echo360 URL to the Trusted Sites list (along with a wildcard asterisk). This will eliminate an extra step by users to allow the Echo360 URL in embedded media. The entry specifically should look something like this: https://echo360.org/* but using your regional URL as appropriate.
As with ALL LMS instructions, the information provided here is done so as a guide to help you with configuring Echo360 interoperaility. Refer to your Brightspace documentation as needed for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: For instructors and students to use the Echo360 embed feature, you MUST enable Public Links for instructors and students in Echo360. This allows Echo360 to generate public links and the associated embed code on behalf of instructors and/or students who select the option.
In addition, the videos embedded into Brightspace do NOT generate student viewing analytics for the section in Echo360. These analytics are currently tied to sections, meaning students must view media within the section in order to provide instructors with student view data. However, the Video Assets Report available from the Admin Dashboard does provide view counts for embedded videos, though not tied specifically to a particular section or user.
To create a Remote Plugin for embedding Echo360 videos into Brightspace
- As a Brightspace admin, navigate to the Account and select the Settings icon from the top right corner.
- Then select Remote Plugins from the options shown.
- In the Manage Remote Plugins page, click New Remote Plugin.
The Create a new Remote Plugin form appears.
- For Plugin Type select Insert Stuff (do not select the CIM option! If you do, the plugin will not work.).
- Add a Name that clearly identifies this as the Echo360 library plugin.
- For Launch Point URL, paste the Host URL value from the Desire2Learn LMS Configuration fields in Echo360.
- At the end of the pasted URL, manually add /launch/library.
IMPORTANT: If you forget this step, the plugin link will not work and you will have to delete it and start over.
- In the LTI Key field, paste the Consumer Key value from the Desire2Learn LMS Configuration fields in Echo360.
- In the LTI Secret field, paste the Shared Secret value from the Desire2Learn LMS Configuration fields in Echo360.
NOTE: If you already have an Echo360 Learning Tool configured, you may be able to leave the Key and Secret fields blank, as the URL should point to the existing tool and use the values there. Refer to your Brightspace documentation for more information if you are not sure. Entering them here does no harm even if they are identical to those in the existing tool.
- Enter a Description and Icon URL if desired. These are optional though Description is recommended.
You can enter the following URL for use as the Plugin icon: https://echo360.org/assets/images/echoLogoSquare.png (using your region's base Echo360 URL if appropriate - echo360.org.au, echo360.org.uk, echo360.ca).
- At the bottom of the form, click Add Org Units.
- Find the main Organizational unit (or the one to which you want to make this Echo360 embed option available).
- Check the box for the organizational unit, and select to make the link available for All descendants of the org unit, as shown in the below figure.
This ensures the option is available within the Insert Stuff button for all courses or other objects created within that organization/department.
- Click Insert to enter this change in the Remote Plugin form. Repeat if enabling the option for different organizations separately.
- Click Save.
As mentioned above, you may also want to add the Echo360 URL to the Trusted Sites list, to avoid users encountering a popup message regarding trusting the URL for the embeds.