The same type of Echo360 app you added to link Canvas Courses into Echo360 sections, can also be used to add an Echo360 Homework Submissions option for students. This allows Instructors to create video submission assignments, and allows students to embed videos from their Echo360 library as their homework submission to the assignment. Videos submitted this way as assignment submissions are then locked in Echo360, meaning the student cannot edit or delete the video after submission.
The instructions below provide instructions for generating an XML cartridge for your current Canvas LMS configuration, then using that to create an App in Canvas that enables Instructor video submission assignments, and student Echo360 video submissions to those assignments.
As with any LTI tool, while you can add the Echo360 App at the Course level, we strongly recommend adding it at the Account (or sub-account) level. Adding the app to the account level automatically makes it available for every course configured for the account.
These procedures must be performed by the LMS/Echo360 administrator.
To generate an XML cartridge that provides for Echo360 video assignments and student submissions
- Log into Echo360 as an Administrator.
- Select the Settings icon in upper-right of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Configurations.
- From the left panel, select LMS configurations as shown in the below figure.
- Find your existing Canvas LMS configuration.
- Select the LTI Config tab as shown in the below figure.
- Enable ONLY the Video assignments slider.
- Click SAVE.
Clicking Save with the toggle enabled updates the XML cartridge available to select and paste into Canvas.
- Click the XML tab of the Canvas LMS configuration.
- Click COPY XML. The XML cartridge text is copied to your clipboard.
- In a new tab or window, log into Canvas as an administrator.
Leave the Echo360 tab/window open, as you will need to return to the LMS configuration page to also copy the Key and Secret values from the LTI tab in Echo into Canvas.
- Click Admin from the left, and navigate to the Account (or sub-account) that contains the courses where instructors will want to embed Echo videos into content windows.
- From the left side of the screen, select Settings.
- Click Apps from the top of the Settings page.
- Click View App Configurations to see the list of already installed external apps. Your existing Echo360 app for course linking should already be listed.
- Click + App.
- In the Configuration Type drop-down list at the top of the Add App dialog box, select Paste XML.
- Enter a Name for this app. This can be anything you want but should clearly identify this as Echo360 Video assignment app. This will be the name that appears in the tab for students when submitting their assignments.
- Click into the XML Configuration section of the dialog box and press Ctrl+V or Command+V to paste the copied XML from Echo360.
- Go back to the Echo360 window (click the LTI tab for the Canvas configuration if necessary) and copy the Consumer Key value from Echo360, then paste it into the Consumer Key field in Canvas.
(Tip: Click into the field, type Ctrl+A/Command+A to select all, then Ctrl+C/Command+C to copy; use Ctrl+V/Command+V to paste into Canvas.)
- From the Echo360 window, copy the Shared Secret value from Echo360 and paste it into the Shared Secret field in Canvas. (See above Tip for select/copy/paste.)
- When finished, click Submit.
You should now see your new video submission app in your Canvas app configuration list. If you already have a Course Navigation app and a Content Embed app, those will also be listed.
If you click the Info button for each and check Placements, the new app one should Homework Submissions as the placement.
Have instructors follow the instructions located in Creating a Canvas Assignment for Student Video Submission from Echo360. The benefits of using Echo360 for these submissions is that once the video is submitted for the assignment, Echo360 locks the video; the student cannot edit or delete the video once submitted.