NOTE: Some institutions disable the Q&A functionality; if you do not see the Questions button or panel as described below, check with your school's help desk to see if this is the case with your institution.
If you have a question while viewing a classroom presentation or want to respond to a question someone else asked about the class, select the Discussions icon from the toolbar. This is a toggle button which also closes the Questions panel when not needed.
To respond to a posted question, click ON the question in the discussion panel. The question expands to provide a Respond to this Question button as shown below.
Any posted question can generate multiple responses, generating discussions about the class material.
To "bookmark" a question, click the bookmark icon (this is shown in blue in the above figure). Your own posts are bookmarked automatically; bookmarking someone else's post adds it to your Study Guide notes for the class (if you are a student).
To endorse a particular post, click the "thumbs up" icon.
For Live streaming classes, the Questions panel appears by default, allowing viewers to chat about the class in real-time.
All posts (and responses) entered through the classroom questions panel also appear in the Q&A tab for the course. If a post references a point in the classroom video or a particular slide, that visual cue also appears with the question in the Q&A tab.
Question and response fields will accept several thousand characters, and while you can enter line breaks into the field, they are not retained. Meaning readability of the post provides a practical limit to how much you can enter. Attachments are limited to 10MB.
Click the menu arrow (also called a "chevron") located to the right of a question/response to display the Edit and Delete commands. All users can edit their own (and only their own) questions or responses. Users can also delete their posts, and instructors can delete any post.
To post a question from the classroom
- In the classroom toolbar, click the New Question icon.
The Discussions panel opens to show a New Question text box, the same as if you had clicked New Question from the Discussions panel.
- Enter text into the New question textbox
- Click the paperclip icon to include an attachment with your question.
- Select whether to Reference class content with the question. This simply means that the classroom presentation will synch to the question when another user selects it.
- Enable the Post anonymously slider to post the question without your name. Instructors can see the authors of all posts; students cannot.
- Click POST QUESTION.
The question can now be viewed and responded to by students or instructors of the section.
To view classroom questions/discussions
- In the classroom toolbar, click the Discussions icon (shown below) to open the Discussions panel and view posts and responses, pose questions, and respond to others' questions.
Click the flag below the question to bookmark it (the flag changes from gray to blue). Bookmarking a question makes it show up in your Study Guide (questions you post are automatically bookmarked).
- In the classroom toolbar, click the Discussions icon (shown below) to open the Discussions panel.
- Click the question/post you want to respond to.
The Questions panel changes to show a button for responding as well as any previously posted responses.
- Click RESPOND TO THIS QUESTION.
The question panel changes to show a response text box.
- Enter your response in the text box.
- Click the paperclip icon to include an attachment with your response (optional).
- Enable the Post anonymously slider to post your response without your name. Instructors can see the authors of all posts; students cannot.
- Click POST.
The Discussion panel changes to show you have responded to the question.
The question appears for all users in the Questions panel for this class and in the Q&A tab for the course. Other class members, including instructors, can respond to or endorse your post.