Prerequisites for using the Embed Echo360 Video Library option:
1) A Blackboard Administrator must have installed the Echo360 video library building block for Blackboard AND if appropriate configured the system to allow Students to embed Echo360 videos.
2) The public links option must be turned on, so that you have the authority to generate a public link for embedding.
3) You must have content YOU OWN in your Content Home/Library (or you must be an Echo360 Admin). Only content owners (or Admins) can embed videos in an LMS content window.
If a Blackboard Admin has installed it for your institution and enabled it for courses, Echo360 provides an Echo360 Video Library option in the Mashups list. This option allows you to select a video and embed it directly into the content area of a page.
Embedding a video can be done anywhere Blackboard provides a content window for posting items (e.g., Tasks or Announcements or a Content Page added to a course). If your Blackboard Administrator has configured it to do so, Students can use the Echo360 video library option to embed videos for assignment submissions as well. Student assignment submissions require the Echo360 Building Block version 1.0.8 or higher.
Instructors or Students can select any video they own from their My Content library. Once inserted, the video appears in the content window and other users can play the video directly in the page. If embedded in an Assignment submission, the video is also locked in Ech360, preventing editing or deleting of the video by the student.
Blackboard Administrators who are also Echo360 Administrators can select any capture in the system they have access to.
Embedded videos DO NOT generate specific student analytic information in the same way Echo360 sections track and display that data. Blackboard may provide some of that information for you. Check with your Blackboard administrator if you are not sure. Instructors can see how much of a video has been viewed and how much time has been spent viewing the video in the Analytics tab of the Content Details page in Echo360, and the Admin's video asset report also provides basic view counts of embedded videos. But these views are not linked to any particular student.
The procedure below adds a Module Page into a Blackboard Course content page. You can add any type of content page you like, as long as the element contains a content window into which the video can be embedded.
To embed an Echo360 video into a content window
- Log in to Blackboard.
- Open the Course in Blackboard or other location where you want to post the video.
- If necessary, click the Mode icon for the course and Turn Editing On (in the top right corner of the page).
- Find the type of content item you want and create it. The figure below shows a Module page being added to the Course Content.
Students may be able to create content by responding to a Discussion post, submitting an Assignment response, or other Content post provided initially by an Instructor.
- In the Create Module Page screen that appears, enter a Name that describes the video you are adding.
- In the Toolbar for the Content area of the window, click the Mashups dropdown, and select Echo360 Video Library as shown below.
- A popup window appears listing all the videos you own, or if you are an Echo360 Administrator, all captures in the system you have access to.
- If necessary, use the Search text box and/or Filter by drop-down lists to find the video you want to embed into the window.
- Click Reset to clear any search/filters as needed.
- Select the video you want to embed. The row expands to show additional embedding options.
NOTE that if you are a student embedding an assignment, options beyond "Insert" may not appear.
- From the Select size drop-down list, select the size you want for the embedded video. There are three size options, along with Link.
The Link option does not embed the video in the window but instead enters a URL (sometimes called a public link) for the video that when clicked opens in a new browser tab. The link posted uses the Video title as the text for the link; it does not post the full URL.
- After selecting a size, you have the option to Autoplay the video (it will play as soon as a user opens the page you are embedding it into).
- If you enable Autoplay, Automute is automatically enabled, to accommodate browsers that no longer allow autoplay with sound. You CAN enable Automute separately without Autoplay.
- If appropriate, set a Start At time. If set, the video will begin playing at that timestamp, although viewers will be able to rewind/scrub the player to view any segment of the embedded video.
- When finished, click INSERT.
A preview of the inserted video appears inside the content area.
- Complete whatever remaining fields are on the Page you are adding, then click Submit.
Once the item is added, students can open the page and view the embedded video. If you selected Autoplay or Start At configurations for the video, those are enacted for the user upon viewing.