With the release of macOS 10.14 (Mojave), all applications now require individual user permission to be able to access the Camera and Microphone (a Security and Privacy feature which has long been in effect for iOS). This means that if you enable access to the Camera & Microphone on a Classroom computer, permission has only been granted for the specific user account you are logged into the computer with. If someone else logs into that same Classroom computer using another user account, they will also have to enable access because each user on a computer controls their own permissions.
Enabling access to the Camera and Microphone
- The first time Universal Capture is launched you will be notified by the Application that access to the camera and mic needs to be enabled. Click Continue.
If you choose to click Deny at this point, you will be notified that access is needed every time the application attempts to access the camera or microphone.
- Click OK to enable access to the camera.
If you choose to click Don't Allow at this point you will need to manually update your System Preferences to be able to record from a camera in the future.
- Click OK to enable access to the microphone.
If you choose to click Don't Allow at this point you will need to manually update your System Preferences to be able to record from a microphone in the future.
If access to the camera and microphone has already been denied, you can still launch Universal Capture to record your desktop and camera/microphone inputs will still appear as source options. When attempting to select a camera or microphone input in this state you will be notified by the Application that access to the camera and mic needs to be enabled and a denied icon will be displayed.
- Click Continue from the application notification to launch System Preferences (or open System Preferences manually).
- Navigate to Security & Privacy > Privacy pane.
- Select Camera from the available options.
- Find "Echo360 Capture" in the list of apps and click the checkbox
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the Microphone.
NOTE that after manually updating access to your camera and microphone, the OS can take up to a minute to make these inputs available to the application.