The Video Assets Report is accessed by clicking the Videos card from the Admin Dashboard.
The report contains data from the last 12 months, providing a count of views and/or downloads of the media performed in that time-frame. If a video has not been viewed or downloaded in the past 12 months, it is NOT listed in the report.
The report is currently limited to 10,000 (10K) entries.
By default, the report is sorted by last viewed/downloaded date-time. Videos are listed by section in which they are published, and will appear multiple times if published to multiple sections (and have been viewed/downloaded at least once in the last 12 months). Definitions for the columns are provided later on this page.
To change the order of the columns, click and drag them to their new location. Column reordering will persist through a Clear All (to clear filters and sorting) but will be restored to their original order when the page is refreshed.
To sort the report by a single column, click the column header.
To nest your sorting selections, press the Shift key while clicking the column header.
For example, to sort the report by course and then section, click the Course column header, then press the Shift key and select the Section header.
To filter the report data shown, click the Filter icon as shown in the below figure.
The filter options include boolean and partial filter parameters such as contains, equals, does not equal, starts with, and ends with, as shown in the below figure.
Column filters can be layered. If you filter the report based on one column's data, the next filter you apply will further limit the report based on both filters' criteria.
To clear any sorting or filters placed on the report, click Clear All, located in the top left of the report. To return any column order changes to the original default location, refresh the browser page.
To export the report to a CSV file, click EXPORT. Like the report shown on the screen, the CSV export is limited to 10K entries. We are working toward providing larger exports where institutions have more than 10K entries for the report.
The exported CSV file contains 19 columns as opposed to the 12 shown in the UI and described below. In addition, the exported file reflects the video assets currently listed in the report. If you have applied filters, those are the videos that will appear in your export. If you wish to export ALL video media data, click Clear All to clear your filters prior to exporting.
NOTE: If a single video has been published to multiple sections, it will appear multiple times in the report. This means the total video count on the Videos card may not match the total number of rows in the Video Assets report.
Columns shown on the report are as follows (along with details where applicable):
- Video Name - The name or title given to the video.
Typically this is the Title given for the capture schedule that created the video, or may be "Ad Hoc Capture" if generated on the fly (usually by an instructor). For uploaded videos, this is usually the filename of the video. The video name can be changed using the Edit Details feature (and frequently is for ad hoc captures or video uploads, to more clearly identify the video).
- Create Date - The date and time the video was created. NOTE that copies of videos currently retain the creation date of the original. We are aware of this issue and will be addressing it in the near future.
- Last Viewing Date - The last date/time the video was viewed.
- Course - The Course number where the video is published.
- Section Number - The Section Number for the section where the video is published.
NOTE that if Course and Section are blank, this means the video WAS published but has been removed from the section or the section has been deleted. Meaning there is view information from views within the section but the video is no longer associated with that section.
- Owner Name - Name of the Owner of the video. This is blank if there is no owner.
- Total Video Views - Total number of times that video has been viewed through the section listed. See the below section for additional information about what this view count does and does not include.
- Downloads - The total number of times the video has been downloaded. This includes downloads from the section as well as downloads from the capture details page (including both processed files downloads and source file downloads).
- Public - The total number of views that occurred by anonymous or non-authenticated users. This means views by users who accessed the video via a public section link and were not logged into Echo360 when they viewed the video.
- Private - The total number of views of the video by logged in users. This is a count of distinct views, not a count of distinct users' views, meaning it includes a tally of both repeat views by a single user as well as single views by different users.
- Video Duration (mins) - Total length of the video in minutes.
- Time Viewed (mins) - Total number of minutes this video has been viewed.
A few details you will want to be aware of with respect to the total video views count shown in the report. The bottom line is that in order to get view counts, the video must be published to a section and the video viewed through a classroom. Views through public or embedded video links are not included in this report. Download counts can be instigated from a section class list or from the capture details view.
- The count shown includes the number of times the video was viewed through the section. If the video is published to multiple sections, each section has its own row and its own view count for that video. Sort the report by Video Name or filter the report to find all published instances of that video to get a total count of views for a single video published to multiple locations.
- The count shown does NOT include views that occurred through the Capture Details page. This page is what Administrators see when they select a capture from the captures page, and is what Instructors see when they click on a video from their Library page.
- The count shown does NOT include views that occurred through a posted link to the video, even if the link was set to Private and users had to log in to see it. These views occur outside of the Section/Classroom and are not included in these counts.
- The count shown does NOT include views that occurred through embedded posts of the video. Videos can be embedded in an LMS content window or onto an institution portal, or in any number of places. Like posted links to the video, these views occur outside of the Section/Classroom and are not included in these counts.
- The count shown DOES include views through Section links, even if those links are set to Public (users do not have to log in). Because these views occur within the Section/Classroom, they are counted. Note that the report also delineates between Public and Private views, meaning viewing of a video through authenticated vs. unauthenticated access to the section.
- Views for videos may also be counted with no course or section listed if the video HAD been published to a section but has since been removed or the section has been deleted. The views are still counted and shown (as long as they occurred within the last 12 months) but there is no associated section or course information for that particular entry. Keep in mind that the video may be listed a second time if it was later published to a different section.