Importing and Exporting via CSV is an admin-level task that is also available to Scheduler role users. This allows Schedulers to create, update, and delete Courses, Sections, and Schedules.
Becuase the Scheduler role provides only a subset of Administrator capabilities, the Scheduler only has access to the Term, Course, Section, and Schedule imports. However since these imports require the use of other object IDs, all Exports are available for Scheduler users.
There is no difference in import or export functionality or procedures from those provided in these help articles for Administrators. The only difference is which Imports a scheduler has access to.
Refer to the following articles for detailed information and procedures as necessary:
- Using Imports/Exports and CSV Files
- Exporting Echo360 Objects to CSV
- Create, Update, and Delete via CSV Import
- Imports: Course and Term
- Imports: Section and Enrollments (Schedulers do not have access to Enrollments imports)
- Imports: Schedules
We suggest using the following workflow for Export/Import CSV changes to Echo360:
- Generate an Export job for the item type you want to change.
- Download the export file once complete.
- Open the file in Excel or other spreadsheet program that allows for sorting.
- Use Sort or Find in Excel to identify the items/rows you want to change. This is also useful for finding the system ID for an item to use in a Create-action import.
- Copy those rows/the ID data into a NEW file.
- Change the fields whose values you want to change, or generate all (and only) the rows needed to create the items you want to create.
Delete-action imports only require object IDs, although you can choose to keep or remove other identifying fields as desired.
- Save the file as a comma separated values file (*.csv).
- Run an Import for the object Type and Action you want to perform.
- After the import is complete, check the system to see that your changes appear.
Tips for Running CSV Imports
Large imports can take some time to process. For this reason, your imported CSV file should contain only the rows being created or that require updates. Every row in the file must be parsed and validated, even if it makes no changes; having unnecessary rows in the imported file will needlessly increase processing time.
Most create-action imports do not require an export to be generated first, however some of the create-action imports do require the use of a system ID for the value in one or more fields. For example, Create Section import requires a Course ID and Term ID for the new sections. Use a course and term export to find the IDs you need to use and copy them into the Section import fields.
You may also find it useful to generate an Export if there are items with similar/identical fields to the ones you want to create. Use the export to copy the values you want. For example, creating an Intro to Biology section in a new term might use all the same fields as the old Intro to Biology section did, with the exception of Term ID (new term/new ID).
Delete-action imports do not require any fields other than ID because the values in the other fields don't matter if the item is being deleted. The only validation we have is to see that the ID given matches the object type you have selected to delete.
You may want to, however, retain one or more other fields in the Delete-action CSV file, to do your own validation that the listed items are the ones you want to delete, or to confirm those items have been deleted once the import is finished.