The same type of Echo360 app you added to link Canvas Courses into Echo360 sections, can also be used to add an Echo360 embed button to content editor toolbars across courses. This allows instructors and students to embed Echo360 videos from their library directly into a Canvas content window for other course users to view.
IMPORTANT: For instructors and students to use the Echo360 embed toolbar button, you MUST enable Public Links for instructors and students in Echo360. This allows Echo360 to generate public links and the associated embed code on behalf of instructors and/or students who click the button. If you want Students to be able to use the embed button, you must also enable the Student Library (along with public links for students), allowing students to access a cache of Echo360 media to embed.
In addition, the videos embedded into Canvas do NOT generate student viewing analytics for the section in Echo360. These analytics are currently tied to sections, meaning students must view media within the section in order to provide instructors with student view data. However, the Video Assets Report available from the Admin Dashboard does provide view counts for embedded videos, though not tied specifically to a particular section or user.
The instructions below provide instructions for generating an XML cartridge for your current Canvas LMS configuration, then using that to create an App in Canvas that provides an Echo360 content embed button in the content windows of Canvas.
As with any LTI tool, while you can add the Echo360 App at the Course level, we strongly recommend adding it at the Account (or sub-account) level. Adding the app to the account level automatically makes it available for every course configured for the account.
These procedures must be performed by the LMS/Echo360 administrator.
To generate an XML cartridge that provides an Echo embed button
- Log into Echo360 as an Administrator.
- Select the Settings icon in upper-right of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Configurations.
- From the left panel, select LMS configurations as shown in the below figure.
- Find your existing Canvas LMS configuration.
- Select the LTI Config tab as shown in the below figure.
- Enable ONLY the Content embed button slider.
- Click SAVE.
Clicking Save with the toggle enabled updates the XML cartridge available to select and paste into Canvas.
- Click the XML tab.
- Click COPY XML. The XML cartridge text is copied to your clipboard.
- In a new tab or window, log into Canvas as an administrator.
Leave the Echo360 tab/window open, as you will need to return to the LMS configuration page to also copy the Key and Secret values from the LTI tab in Echo into Canvas.
- Click Admin from the left, and navigate to the Account (or sub-account) that contains the courses where instructors will want to embed Echo videos into content windows.
- From the left side of the screen, select Settings.
- Click Apps from the top of the Settings page.
- Click View App Configurations to see the list of already installed external apps. Your existing Echo360 app for course linking should already be listed.
- Click + App.
- In the Configuration Type drop-down list at the top of the Add App dialog box, select Paste XML.
- Enter a Name for this tool. This can be anything you want but should clearly identify this as the LTI tool that provides the Echo embed button.
- Click into the XML Configuration section of the dialog box and press Ctrl+V or Command+V to paste the copied XML from Echo360.
- Go back to the Echo360 window (click the LTI tab for the Canvas configuration if necessary) and copy the Consumer Key value from Echo360, then paste it into the Consumer Key field in Canvas.
(Tip: Click into the field, type Ctrl+A/Command+A to select all, then Ctrl+C/Command+C to copy; use Ctrl+V/Command+V to paste into Canvas.)
- From the Echo360 window, copy the Shared Secret value from Echo360 and paste it into the Shared Secret field in Canvas. (See above Tip for select/copy/paste.)
- When finished, click Submit.
You should now see your Echo360 content embed app in your Canvas app configuration list. If you already have a Course Navigation app and a Video Homework Submission app, those will also be listed.
If you click the Info button for each and check Placements, the new app one should show Editor Button as the placement.