Echo360 is a web-based application that uses a browser to view content and as such has certain browser requirements. Beyond ensuring you're using a supported browser, there are also some configuration settings you may need to check or change to successfully use Echo360.
Flash, Live Classes, and Chrome: If you're trying to view a LIVE class in Chrome and got stuck, there are Quick Procedures below (with pictures), but here is the "tl;dr" version for you if you're in a hurry:
1) Click the Lock icon in the URL bar.
2) Select Site settings from the menu.
3) Find Flash in the Settings tab and change it to Allow.
4) Close the Settings tab.
5) Reload the Live class page, then click Show Live Stream.
Enabling Cookies and the Flash plug-in for your Browser
Some Echo360 users may not find it necessary to enable cookies in the browser, but many will, especially if they access Echo360 through an LMS (learning management system) or other site that opens Echo360 inside of a frame. In addition, Live streams require the use of Adobe Flash, and your browser must have the Flash plug-in both installed and enabled for Echo360.
The articles listed below provide procedures for how to configure each browser to allow Echo360 to seamlessly provide content.
- Chrome Recommended Browser Configuration
- Safari Recommended Browser Configuration
- Internet Explorer 11 Recommended Browser Configuration
- Firefox Recommended Browser Configuration
Despite using Flash, iOS allows for Live stream viewing. How? iOS uses HLS instead of Flash for live streaming. (HLS stands for HTTP Live Streaming Protocol, in case you were interested.)
Unfortunately Android devices CANNOT be used to view Live streams.
Quick Proc: Allowing Flash in Chrome for LIVE classes
Since you may have been shunted here because you clicked SHOW LIVE STREAM only to be presented with a message about Flash being out of date, here are the quick procedures to get you going. The Chrome article linked above has slightly more detailed steps and pictures if you need them.
Allowing Flash for a Live class
- If presented with a "Flash is out of date" message in Chrome, click the Lock icon in the URL bar at the top of the screen.
- Click Site settings from the menu that appears, as shown in the below figure.
- In the Settings list, find the entry for Flash and select Allow from the drop-down list of options, as shown below.
- Close the Settings tab.
- Click Reload from the banner that should now appear at the top of the Live Class window. If you see no banner, click the Reload button from the Chrome toolbar.
- Once the class has reloaded, click SHOW LIVE STREAM again. The Live streamed class should now appear.
You only need to do this once for each browser session, but if/when you close your browser and re-open it, you may need to re-allow Flash to play. Also you can perform these steps from the Class List page or anywhere else inside Echo360. Simply click the Lock icon from the URL bar, select Site settings, and set the Flash setting to Allow.