Before recording a capture withe Personal Capture (PCAP) for Windows, be sure you have installed Personal Capture for Windows, and properly installed the devices you want to use for capture, if necessary.
Sections on this page include:
- Before you begin
- Clean up the desktop
- Open the presentation file(s)
- Enter a title and select publishing option
- Learn the keyboard shortcuts
- Start recording
- Stop the recording
- Deleting a recording
Before beginning a recording, you have the opportunity to preview the inputs being captured. You may also want to take this opportunity to clear the computer desktop of unneeded programs, and open any presentations or materials you plan to show.
We recommend that you close (or at least minimize) all applications and windows except for Personal Capture and any applications you will use during the recording. The recording will be less cluttered and more professional looking.
If your capture will include computer Display input, open any files or other items you plan to show on the computer during capture. This helps reduce any "fumbling" or unnecessary computer actions, all of which are captured in the recording, and help ensure a smooth presentation of materials.
After opening the presentation(s) or other files, minimize any you won't be showing at the beginning, and note their location in the taskbar. This provides a clean space to capture, and for smoother transitions from one item to the next.
If you haven't yet, launch Personal Capture by double-clicking the desktop icon, or by selecting Launch Echo360 Personal Capture from the Windows Start menu.
Enter a Title for the recording in the title bar. This is optional; you can add a title later if you prefer.
Check or uncheck the Auto-publish checkbox. If checked, the following occurs:
- When you click Record, you will be required to select a course section to publish the capture to.
- The recording will be automatically published to the selected section as soon as the recording is stopped. You will not be given the opportunity to edit the recording in PCAP.
See Publish Recordings with Personal Capture for Windows for additional information.
For more streamlined and professional looking results, we recommend learning and using the keyboard shortcuts to pause, resume, and stop the capture.
|Pause & Resume (toggle)||Alt +F5|
|Stop the recording||Alt+F6|
Practice! Practice! Practice! We recommend you spend some time creating test captures, just so you get used to working with PCAP. Go ahead! Make a holiday greetings video for some relatives, or the product advertisement you always thought they should make. Edit your captures, so you understand the PCAP editor's capabilities and limitations. All recordings are saved locally (until you publish them), so no one even has to know you did it. And you can delete any capture at any time.
If you have performed some/all of the above Before you begin recommended activities, you can skip the first steps in the below procedure.
To start a Personal Capture recording:
- Launch Personal Capture.
- Enter a Title for the recording into the title bar at the top of the page.
- Check or set the capture inputs. Use the Preview window to make sure they are capturing what you need to include in the recording.
- Check or set the capture output quality.
- Set up the presentation or visual experiment or other items you are planning to capture, and check the Preview panes for verification.
- Check or clear auto-publish as appropriate.
- Click Record. The locations for performing each of these steps is identified in the below figure.
- If Auto-publish is checked, you will be asked to log in if you have not already entered login information.
- Then the following dialog box appears asking you to enter (or confirm) a Title and select an Upload location for the published recording, either a course or your Echo360 Library.
- Click Record (if you needed to enter publishing information). The following occurs:
- A five second countdown appears in the window, shown in the below figure.
- Once the countdown finishes, recording begins and the preview window minimizes to the taskbar.
- The Record button changes to show Stop and Pause.
You can use the Stop and Pause buttons in the interface to manipulate the recording, or you can use the keyboard shortcuts.
When you are done recording, maximize the PCAP window and click Stop, or press Alt+F6.
If Auto-publish was checked, the capture is automatically uploaded, processed, and published to the selected course when you stop recording.
Regardless of whether it is auto published or not, the recording appears in the list of recordings at the bottom of the Personal Capture window.
If you no longer need to keep a recording, you can delete it. Deletion is permanent and cannot be undone.
Deleting a recording in Personal Capture only deletes the recording locally. It does not delete any published captures from Echo360. Whether or not the recording was published (and to where) is shown with the recording in the Recordings list.
To delete a recording
- Hover the mouse over the recording you want to delete and click the Delete icon (the X), shown in the above figure.
You will be asked to confirm the deletion.