The instructions below are provided as a guide for creating an LTI for Echo360 access to Sakai, and must be performed by the LMS administrator. PLEASE use these only as a general guide and refer to your Sakai Documentation for detailed instructions. The below steps were performed using Sakai 11 or where necessary, pulled from the Sakai 11 documentation.
To create the Echo360 External LTI tool in Sakai
- Log into Sakai as an administrator.
- Enter the Administration Workspace.
- Select External Tools from the Tool Menu.
- Click . If any external tools have been configured and made available in your Sakai instance, you'll see them listed here.
- Click the Add LTI 1.1 Tool link, located on the right side of the available tools list and shown in the below figure.
- In the External Tool form that appears, complete the fields as appropriate, using the following settings required for Echo360: (see also best practice note below)
- Tool Title: Enter a name that makes it clear this is an LTI tool link to Echo360. You may want to allow edits to the tool title, so that instructors/site owners can provide a title that makes sense to their students ( for example referencing the Echo360 section or classroom to which the tool links).
- Tool Status: Enabled - this allows site users to select and use Echo360 through the tool link.
- Tool Visibility: Visible - this allows site owners to find the tool and add it to their site. Alternately you can select Stealthed, if you only want Admins to be able to add the LTI Tool Link to Echo360 to sites.
- Launch URL: copy the Host URL from the Sakai LMS configuration page in Echo360.
Select Do not allow to restrict site owners' ability to change the Launch URL when adding the tool to their site
- Launch Key: copy the Consumer Key from the Sakai LMS configuration page in Echo360.
Select Do not allow to restrict site owners' ability to change the Launch key when adding the tool to their site.
- Launch Secret: copy the Consumer Secret from the Sakai LMS configuration page in Echo360.
Select Do not allow to restrict site owners' ability to change the Launch secret when adding the tool to their site.
- Enable BOTH Privacy Settings checkboxes: this allows users to pass seamlessly through to Echo360 when they enter through Sakai.
- If instructors will be exporting Echo360 Analytics to their Sakai Gradebook, enable the checkboxes to Allow External Tool to return grades, and Provide Roster to External Tool.
- Select to Always launch in Popup: this circumvents some issues that Safari users have experienced where the browser was not allowing Echo360 to open within the LMS frame. In addition, using a popup for Echo360 provides more screen area for viewing and navigating Echo360 classroom media.
- When finished, click Save.
The Available External Tools list now shows the Echo360 LTI tool link you just created. When you (or other user) creates a site, this tool is listed under External Tools, and can be selected for site navigation.
BEST PRACTICE: Selecting and copying the LMS fields in Echo360 can be difficult, and can be prone to not selecting the full value. To select the full value of an LMS field, do the following:
1) Use your mouse to select a portion of the field values.
2) Press Ctrl+A / Command+A to "select all" of the field.
3) Press Ctrl+C / Command + C to copy the selected value.
4) Paste the value into the corresponding field in the LMS LTI External Tool configuration.