To use Sakai with Echo360's active learning platform, you need to configure Echo360 as an external tool in Sakai, then link that tool to each course site where the classroom media/content will be delivered through Echo360.
What Sakai version are you using? The instructions provided here assume you are using Sakai 10.4 or higher, which supports the addition of Echo360 as an LTI Tool in Sakai on the Administration Workspace level. If you are using an earlier version of Sakai, you may need to add the tool at the Site level. However the basic options, settings, and process information included here still applies.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN: You will want to determine if your Echo360 Courses and Sections will be created separately in Echo360 and then linked to through the LMS, OR if you want to enable the simplified One-Click Provisioning feature for your institution. The One-Click course provisioning auto-creates the course and section in Echo360 from the LMS link, using the same course code and name as the LMS. This is designed to accommodate institutions who want to limit administrative involvement in Echo360 management, and use Echo360 primarily as a content management solution for instructor class materials. You can still create capture schedules for the sections, to record and publish lectures, or allow instructors to generate ad hoc captures for their sections, if lecture capture is part of your institution's workflow. Beyond the one-click course provisioning feature, all other LMS integration steps remain essentially the same and are described below.
Workflow for configuring Sakai to provide Echo360 content
- Enable the Sakai LTI configuration in Echo360.
This generates the Key, Secret, and Host URL fields needed to set up the External Tool in Sakai.
- Adding Echo360 to Sakai as an External LTI Tool.
- Adding Echo360 Link to Sakai course site.
This step can be done by the Admin or the Instructor.
- Click the link to Echo360 and select the Echo360 Section to show to users through this Sakai site page.
- If appropriate for your institution, Instructors may also choose to create multiple assessment links and link to individual classes within an Echo360 section.
Alternately, instructors or admins can create the Echo360 course and/or section through the tool interface. Whoever creates the section this way is automatically assigned as an instructor to the course.
- Users who log into Sakai and click the Echo360 tool link are automatically passed through to the Echo360 section's class list, and automatically enrolled in the class with the corresponding user role.
NOTE: The procedures in these topics are provided as guidelines to the Sakai LTI Tool setup process. Refer to the Sakai documentation for additional details, or contact Sakai product support if you need further assistance.